Physical Science Zero-gravity Flights

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by JcMinJapan, Sep 17, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Would you do them? I think it would be neat, but ZeroGravity does not really offer too much of a thrill. A low orbit hotel would peak my interest though.

2. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Id save my 3000 and keep saving becaus perty soon the X Prize will have been won and sub orbital fights wil be common you may eaisly buy a ticketto sub orbital flight look out at earth and see the curvature and be weightless. you probaly spend 7000$ on a trip like that in the next 5 years.

paitience is a virtue

i have set a goal for my life to make sure i go into space once i dont think its that far fetched of an idea myself

[Edited on 9/18/2004 by Mizar]

3. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Here is what I am waiting for! I would definately give up all my vacation for the rest of my life to have a chance to go here. This would be a dream come true!

18.jpg

4. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Imagine the amount of G forces you'd feel in those 25 seconds...would it be worth it?

---pineapple

5. Iggy

Iggy Premium Member

I believe that zero gravity flights would be fun for us that have to spend our lives firmly planted within earth's atmosphere. Yes I would go, but I also think it totally possible to make a gravitational field that helps hold us down to the floor so that muscle degeneration and bone mass loss would be a thing of the past. (but wouldn't it be fun if someone figured out how to make a Zero Gravity Room here on the planet? I would be the first in line. I hear it makes ya sick tho. lol

6. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Or wouldn't feel ... Maybe skydiving fanatics have felt the rush of prolonged weightlessness , but there is a ton of wind friction . I like that floating feeling when a rollercoaster goes zero G , but appreciate it when gravity comes back . I wonder how those long term astronauts on the ISS deal wit it ?

I did read that zero G in outerspace makes the blood flow differently , and you can see in pictures of floating astronauts that thier heads and torsos get larger because the legs have no work to do and blood flow is only necesarry to keep the extremities alive .

If we were to take a generational journey to the stars and have need for children to be born and raised to keep the journey alive , I wonder if thier legs would be shorter or non existant ? We might end up being floating torsos , or the big giant head !

7. yermom

yermom New Member

well actually- I bet you could make a "space room"

if u were to place an abject on the table, and have two other objects on each side of this middle object, both applying an equal pull force on middle object, the net force gravity of middle object would be zero. maybe if u could apply this somehow to a room, (as simple as huge magnets) u may be able to do it.

8. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

I believe you are talking about levitation, like they use for electro- magnetic accelerators.
    To build such a room as you invisage you must first create a material to build it with that has no mass and repels all attraction.
    You float in space because of the absence of anything.
    This said I believe even in space you'd eventualy find yourself drifting towards the nearest mass, accelerating states faster till you reach your terminal velocity for that mass.... untill.....SPLAT!!!!
    Like I sudgested in the other gravity thread, check out your nearest vertical wind tunnel and try bodyflight. It's the closest you'll get at the moment to what your looking for. Its awsome YEEEAHHH!!!
    If you work mout this room let me know, dieing to try it.
    Love to try it with my girlfriend :)

9. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Just an addition, the reason you can achieve weightlessness in these high ark flights is because they create an equal and opposite force to cancel out briefly the mass of the plane.
    The long arc means you sort of fly with the plane just above the floor.
    Your not exactly weightless, just falling with the plane at the same rate .
    Ever tried car surfing? You can be doing 30 and jump, because your moving at the same speed as the car you land in about the same spot. Even though you and the car have moved many meters forward.
    Remember kids, do not try this at home.

10. Young William

Young William Premium Member

I believe that the selling point here, would obviously be the "space experience." Personally, I recieved two F-15 rides while serving in the USAF: the first was breathtaking, the second one was well,....like a haphazard song re-make. So is life, it the thrill of the chase that sells. when you catch what you're after, the only thing left, is the bill.........

11. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

You got it Young William,
    Keep on chaseing
    :cheers: