Lit & The Arts Writing a Story and Need Help With Scientific References

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by invader_chris, Feb 19, 2005.

1. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

Okay, I'm currently writing a story, and I'm going to need help with the science involved. So so far I've come up with space distortion propulsion, the method of movement the spacecraft use which distorts the space around it allowing it to move without the use of rockets, and an abosolute time drive, which fixes the problem of fast spacecraft having slower time than the space around it. I'll need help sorting out short descriptions of how things such as these work. Thanks! :up:

2. amantine

amantine Premium Member

Do you have access to a university library? This NASA page lists the following paper that seems to apply to your propulsion system:
    • 1994 Alcubierre: Theory for a faster-than-light "warp drive" consistent with general relativity.
    This article on Arxiv, also by Alcubierre, seems to be about the same subject: The warp drive: hyper-fast travel within general relativity. It basicly describes how it can be done, but the problem is that exotic matter with negative density is required.

3. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

Thanks. :up: I also need to know if there are any names for the planets orbiting Alpha Centauri.

4. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I haven't read anything that establishes if there are planets orbiting Alpha Centauri A or B. However, the system does meet most of the criteria necessary - This link has some great information. If there is a terrestrial planet to be found - it will most likely be found there.

You're going to let us all read this when you're done - yes?

B.

5. amantine

amantine Premium Member

Maybe the articles of Michio Kaku will help you. He has a few about interstellar travel and civilizations.

6. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

Thanks. I'll just make up some planet names.