Astronomy Would you do it?

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by JcMinJapan, Nov 30, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Ok, this could easily fit in the lounge, but also fits in astronomy. Ok, now suppose you we given a call from NASA.

They think that they have possibly found a way to traverse a black hole. Now, we are talking about a super massive black hole and it would require someone onboard the ship to try and traverse it and describe what is happening. Being that the ship would be so many light years away, navigation from earth is basically impossible, due to the time signals would take to transmit. They have also found a way to get you to the Black Hole in 10 years of travel. Your only job during the trip would be to master the different scenarios for successfully navigating through the black hole and thus helping scientists learn about the possibilities and ways of possibly navigating a black hole.

Ok, now there is only about a 5-10% chance of your survival. But, there could be advances that happen during your 10 year voyage. Also, if you do successfully navigate to the other side, you will probbly not be able to return as there is no idea what lies on the other side. There is also probably no way to communicate with Earth after you traverse it as well. This is basically a one-way trip.

Would you accept the challenge?

I for one would do it in a heartbeat. Even though death was a probable, I would take my chances and go for it. The chance to experience this, advance our understanding of space, physics, and black holes would be my honor. Also, even if there is a 1% chance to make it through, the risks would be worth the reward. Just imagine what could be on the other side! A dream come true for me personally.

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

SssssSSSsssss.... I dunno. I am a scientist, but I dont think I could make that much of a commitment to a theoretical scenerio. I would have to be given a lot of hard fact about the trip, the risks, the physics, etc. Id love to do it, but ten years just to but pulled apart atom by atom isnt really a fun time.

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I wouldnt do that. 95% chance of dying is not worth it to me. Also, if i did surivive, I would have spent 10 years floating around in space with 0 gravity then going into a black hole with multiple Gs would hurt so bad.

Definatly not worth it to me.

---pineapple

4. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

hmmthe thought of being alone and wandering teh cosmoms with just a giant collection of classical music......

i duno even ME i wouldnt do that.

5. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

*Major Tom playing in the background*

Black Hole, 5-10% chance of survival....No Way!!!!!

Now ask me about a trip to Saturn, Jupiter or Mars and a 50% chance of making it back - Sign me up.

JC, you are nuts - but in a completely great way.:p

B.

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Hey, how did you know the song I planned? JK... I would have to start with some Eagles and Night Ranger and then take up the tempo as I got closer to the core with come duran duran and John Cougar Mellencamp, when everything starts to get funky, I would have to break out Ballroom Blitz first, then Bohemian Rhapsody, then lead into a few Aerosmith, Joan Jett, Bon Jovi, etc then once I made it through there is no doubt that I would have to have "See ya later Alligator" playing in the background.... :how:

7. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I would do it ONLY IF the music run through my ears 24/7. The music has to be right for my mind to accept death and unknown. Otherwise I would not do it because I would be in my right mind. :up:

8. cmdrkeenkid

cmdrkeenkid New Member

I'd be for it... music or not. I'm in the same boat as you, JcMinJapan, the honor and experience would be well worth the high risks.

The only thing I would need to take with me would be lots of books... LOTS of books.

9. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

The Eagles? Night Ranger? Mellencamp? I would be hoping for death by then!!!

Seriously though, 5-10% chance? I think I would rather wait around here and see what happens.

10. black hawk

black hawk Premium Member

I dont know, thats a tough one. I would probably not do it due to the survival rate, it does not take a sientiest to figure that one out, you saw the rate. Im an impulse desider, so i would half to be a couple days within deployment, then i would be able to tell you, and plus, it would depend on who i went with, i mean....If it was with carmen electra, then mabey.......