Metaphysics Would it be worth it?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by Icewolf, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Okay, a hypothetical situation.
    You are in a research labratory and are cut off from all human contact. Each day you make new scientific discoveries, but there's no one to tell. In other words the fruits of your labour can only be appreciated by yourself.

No one will ever find your research in the future, it's only ever going to be you.

2. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

It all depends on why you are doing it. If you are attempting to help mankind then it is pointless, but if you are doing it because of the love of discovery then there is fulfillment.

3. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:bouncy:

I agree with futurecorpse on this one. Enjoyment and self-satisfaction would have to be the key. If I enjoy something - I wouldn't care if anyone knew.

I think the only way it would bother me is if the discovery was suppressed from the public outright. While I might not care about credit - I would still want people to benefit.

B.

4. Ape

Ape Premium Member

nevermind :)

5. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

As stated above, only if its worth it, so only if you like found the cure for cancer or something.

6. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

No it would not. All is worthless if you cannot share your effort. I would go mad, if I could do something but never share it.