Puzzles & Games Word problem 1-Solved

Discussion in 'Puzzles & Games' started by helenheaven, Nov 24, 2004.

1. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Two people are talking on the phone long distance. One is in an East Coast state of the U.S., the other is in a West Coast state of the U.S. The first asks the other, "What time is it?" He hears the answer and says, "That's funny. It's the same time here!" Neither one of them were mistaken about the time. How is this possible?

[Edited on 11-30-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

2. Now this one took alot of thinking, but i think i got it.
    The western side of the panhandle of florida is central time. so when daylight savings time occurs at 2am, central time in florida, they change their clocks back to 1am, and it is still 1am in say, California because, california hasn't reached 2am yet to turn their clocks back.
    So its 1am in both places!!! only for an hour though.....

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

ok, how about a simple answer they're both using the 12hour clock, and one of them is 12 hours ahead of the other one, so if it's 7:15am it would be 7:15pm, same time just at different times of the day.

4. icewolf, why would an east coast state, be 12 hours ahead of a west coast state??
    not possible

5. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

i dunno, i'm not from america

6. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

SS82, you are on the money...daylight savings was the key

One is in Eastern Oregon (Mountain time); the other in Western Florida (Central time), and the phone call takes place on daylight-savings-time changeover day at 1:30am.