Zoology Wild Chickens

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by Icewolf, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Is there such a thing as a wild chicken and where's it's natural habitat?

2. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

I imagine that chickens were wild once but I don't think any are now. And if you tried to return a chicken to the wild, I think it would die from choking on a walnut 5 minutes after you set if free.

3. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

*clears throat*

The fact that a chicken has no natural habitat so there for the big bang cannot have happend because it would have created a rational univers and the fact that a chicken has no natual habbitat is not rational
    not rational at all

Ok I win the debate :lol:

4. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

*slowly walks over to Mizar turns him/her/it/other round and whispers (wrong forum) *Points in a random direction* that way, now you have
    1 day 22 hours 43 minutes and 50 secs to post!

5. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Hey, arent chickens origionally from the praries? Kinda like horses and cows, they once roamed free, but now not anymore.....
    hmmm

6. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Yep, chickens weren't put on earth in cages..think about it...

I had chickens once...they just roamed around my garden, didn't need any extra feeding...best eggs you would ever eat too

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

ORIGINS OF CHICKENS

From their origins in Southwest Asia chickens have spread to all corners of world due in a great part to their usefulness to man.

Charles Darwin considered that all chickens as being descendants of a single wild species, the red jungle fowl, Gallus Bankiva, which is found in a wild state from India through Southeast Asia to the Philippines.

The chicken is mentioned in ancient Chinese documents which indicate that they were introduced into China in around 1,400BC.

Chickens are also depicted in Babylonian carvings of around 600BC and mentioned by early Greek writers, notably the playwright Aristophanes in 400BC.

Indeed the Romans considered chickens to be sacred to Mars, the God of War!

Source: www.poultrymad.co.uk

Origin

The chicken (Gallus domesticus) was domesticated in southern Asia at least 4,000 years ago from a parental stock of one or more species of jungle fowl (principally G. gallus).

Chickens did not arrive in the Western Hemisphere until the arrival of the Spanish. All breeds of chickens in the New World can be ccounted for as originating from Old World stock. There is actually a chicken genome mapping project going on in Great Britain which uses data to improve chicken breeding. The genome project actually has mitochondrial DNA cataloged for chickens and can trace all known breeds back to Gallus domesticus. I think they refer to the first chicken as big bird or the mother of all chickens

Source: www.andes.missouri.edu

8. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

Hmmmmm. Learn something new everyday.

9. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:ch:

I don't want bashed for this but I do occassionally go bird hunting, especially sage chickens. <Note: the chickens ask for it. They strut their stuff and look absolutely delicious - so they really have it coming.>

Anyway they are a wild chicken and there are several varieties sage, pine, prairie; They just aren't your normal looking colonel Sanders bird, but much better to eat.

B.
    B.

10. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

So they are pre seasoned with sage ? Little lemon and a roasting pan and good to go .

Serious question : I have seen turkeys in the wild , and they can fly !

Do you're varieties fly Bleys ?

11. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I think that's how they actually got their names to begin with. Sage hens are found in sage brush areas and do have a hint of sage in their meat. So yes, mr. smarty, lemon goes extremely well with them along with an ice cold Michelob.

They fly really well for how big they are. I hit one with my jeep and the little bugger put a dent in it.

Now I'm hungry. :p
    B.