Metaphysics Why?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by Icewolf, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

The word "why" has haunted my teachers over the past year, any tmie i start a sentence begginning with "Why" they stop what they're doing because they know they're going to have to explain something. But when does why end? (in my case it normally ends with, "Because it just does")

For example. Why is the sky blue?
    Because atmospheric patricle reflect blue light.
    Yeah, but why do they do that?
    Well they absorb all the other colours and thats all thats left.
    But, Why do they do that?
    Because they just do!

Well I've had many conversations like this, and very rarely do I get a comlpete answer, In my opinion Why is the most important word on earth. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

2. mindwalker

mindwalker New Member

I remember when a friend died I asked why did he die ?

I was told how he died and when he died but not Why !!

Just one experience that comes to mind.

3. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

I once had a teacher who phoned my parents because I asked too many questions. I think that it is that knid of teacher that makes the massess stupid because they don't support the human instinct to learn.

Teachers like this should be fired.

4. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

lol, invader i an see you now,

Invader: But why is that?
    Teacher: thats it, i'm phoning yuor parents
    Invader: Why are you doing that?

5. tablet

tablet Premium Member

This reminds me of a cartoon show where you have this little girl who keep on asking the "Why" question. I'm sure you all know this cartoon?

The "why" is the most intelligent yet also the most annoying question to ask. I have a nephew who doesn't question much and that is not right.

"You have to start questioning!"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Well, start asking questions if you don't understand"
    "Why?" (so far so good)
    "There, that's what you should start doing."

And then he kept on asking "why" to every single answers I gave. Asking questions is a sign of intelligent, but over doing it shows ignorant.

We should take the answer and spend time thinking about it, not just ask another "why".

6. poonchang

poonchang New Member

Ahhh, the curse curiosity; the curse of why. Why do I want to know why? Why ask why? Why not? Ignorance is bliss, but apathy is heaven; knowledge is painful, curiosity is hell.

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Well, WHY is every teachers worst nightmare, thats if there is like 10+ whys on one subject. Most teachers if they are willing, will try to help you explain why, but not always do they have the answer to ever why.

IMO, WHY is basically infinite, not everything in life has a solid answer with an endstate.

But what makes us prevail, is to learn, by asking why and how. We will never be able to fully understand how everything works. BUt ask yourself this, if you ask why to everything related to one subject, will you remember it all OR by the time you are tired of asking why, will you remember what the starting point was?

8. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Asking why is a very profound thing, the searh for knowledge is a long and difficult one, and I fear those willing to take this path are slowly being segregated in society.

9. Dream Robber

Dream Robber New Member

If we did not ask why, we would still be humped over eating uncooked meat in a cave

10. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

If you want to learn more about why? look at the what is truth threads. I believe that why is an impossible question for mortals to answer completely. It is like trying to find the biggest number. It will take infinity and beyond to answer that questions.

But why?

But why do you ask why?

But why do you ask me why I ask why?

But why do you ask me why I ask you why you ask why?

But why do you ask me why I ask you why I ask why you ask me why I ask why?

And so forth....

11. Iceberg

Iceberg Premium Member

Why.

Why why?

Who, What, Where, When, WHY?

Why is, by far, the most interesting, and the most annoying.

Why is a word used when the search for knowledge is in proccess - but not the search for truth.

Why?

Because when you ask why to someone, they will answer according to their knowledge.

I wonder if there is anyone, anything, that will answer WHY with truth, not knowledge.

12. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Why not?

13. Iceberg

Iceberg Premium Member

Exactly what i would have said -
    Had i the intellectual reasoning of Mizar