Metaphysics Why do we laugh?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by tablet, Oct 18, 2004.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Why do people use it often? Why does a child learn to smile/laugh/giggles as their first expression? Why do we uuh... guchi guchi come here Honey BoY, come here.

Why?

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I like the evil MUAHAHAHAHA

3. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

people use that to try to express speech over the interent,b ecause you can't use emphasis on the internet.

to know my greatest laugh, you must tell me the greatest joke

4. tablet

tablet Premium Member

5. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Laughter is fantastic, where would be without it ?

I like this quote:

Laughter is the closest distance between two people.
    Victor Borge

6. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Why can't i tickle myself , Ive tried :frog:

7. SubVolitional

SubVolitional Member

Laughter is a defense mechanism.....you can't tickle yourself because you know where the "attack" is coming from. Test it out....when you're tickled your first reaction is to"close up and get away", kind of a mild shock reaction where the body allocates all of focus and attention to the autonomous bodily functions- the laughter caused by being tickled is the mind consciously assimilating the fact that you're not actually in any danger! Laughter stemming from jokes and observed situation is along the same lines and occurs as a release of a subtle anxiety when understanding is achieved. Not exactly the technical explanation.......

8. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Wow, i knew laughter COULD be a defense mechanism, but to think that it is only used as a defense mechanism is sort of a weird concept. Thanks for the tidbit!

---pineapple

9. SubVolitional

SubVolitional Member

No Problem.....The interesting part is when you realize that humans have learned how to manipulate the anxiety/relief reaction for entertainment...Everyone loves a good laugh!

10. Ikebana

Ikebana Member

For you OddTodd who asked "Why can't i tickle myself"...well I looked at your avatar and it seems your finger is pointed in the WRONG directions
    :lol:

Laughing is also supposedly a healing technique, it release chemicals in the brain that have healing qualities. It also makes us happy when we are sad, if we finally laugh.

11. oortpower

oortpower Member

Well not being able to tickle oneself isn't always true. My fingernails are quite long and I can tickle myself some with them. It may not be as uncontollable as someone else's tickle, but it does make me laugh a little.

12. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I laugh cause.....

hmmmm.....

I just do....

and I do release tension and escape reality for a bit at something that is hilarious. My wife states that I laugh at my own jokes...well thats probably b/c they are pretty damn funny to me if I am telling them. Oh well...laughter is good for the soul!

13. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Laughing at 'humor' is the surprise of someone elses miscalculation of effort (insanity).

14. 1Reshin2

1Reshin2 Member

to:mscbkc070904
    I hope you laugh at your jokes, cause then whats the point of telling them? (or unless your like me who can hold a straight face when i wanna)
    To: Everyone
    Laughter is good for your soul, its something to take your mind off of, plus what you laugh at is something you obviously like (that goes for tickling too and the corny joke about tickling) cause its not healthy for someone to go without humor not just for the fact of the mind, but your soul since you need some sort of comfort in order to know when danger is about (even oddtodd whom has sidistical humor) because everything needs a balance, if you ever noticed that the world is balanced and those that are not are not happy, so yes enjoy life but, in the same since help someone else out out ther cause in its own way (whatever your belief is) things work out for the better. I.E. I helped 2 guys i got 2 new kind friends.

15. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I'm the person that can't hold a straight face. Not sure if this is an illness.

And no, I don't laugh at death, pain, suffering. Everyone have the power to press my button.

16. 1Reshin2

1Reshin2 Member

I didn't say you do I was saying that people who do laugh over such things can get the similar enjoyment out of laughter

17. 1Reshin2

1Reshin2 Member

And many people can hold a straight face, and aparently both you and I can

18. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

According to my friend Joe, we laugh when we lose sanity, and his exmaple is the reason the Joker laughs all the time is because he is insane. For some odd reason, his examples always have something to do with the Joker.

19. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

"No matter who you are, no matter where you go, always remember the universe is laughing behind your back."

I got that from a Fireside Theater parody.

20. 1Reshin2

1Reshin2 Member