Astronomy What went bang, in the Big Bang?

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by Ape, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Ape

Ape Premium Member

Ok I was curious, if there was a "Big Bang" then what exploded to make all that mess? Was it a huge planet? Was it a giant dead star? Anyone have any ideas?

2. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

According to the big bang theory it was a singulatrity...
    a point with no finite mass no finite energy and no demensions.

3. blue

blue Premium Member

that big pulsing vain in gods forehead

4. Ape

Ape Premium Member

i like the pulsing vain idea more srry Mizar! :D J/K

5. oortpower

oortpower Member

I don't actually know what the official cause is, but I have a theory (doesn't everyone?). Hawking's theory of Hawking radiation (bit repetitive, I know) states, in a nutshell, that vacuum fluctuations (random creations of a particle and antiparticle, have been observed too, I'm not off my rocker) near black holes could have one particle close enough to be sucked in and the other not. The black hole appears to have emitted a particle. Now the Law of conservetion of Energy states you can't just create stuff out of nothing, so the energy comes from the black hole. And in the presense of a higher energy concentration, it happens more. So, if all the matter, energy, space, whathaveyou was in one point at the beginning Hawking radiation would go off like crazy, releasing particles. Eventually the mass would get small enough that it slows down, but likely with still lots more mass than any other single object in the universe.

Or it could be a time reversal causing a white wholeish thing, but that seems unlikely.

6. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Ok...

The mainstream of physics believes in the beginning there were space-time "bubbles" as in a froth forming and popping. Then one(tinier than an atom size= 1 x 10 to the -43 power) just started expanding and inside the temperature was trillions of degrees. This is the energy that turned into protons and neutrons and later nuclei of mostly hydrogen and helium. As the universe expanded it cooled. As it cooled more complex structures formed in the cloud of particles. These structures turned into condensed clouds galaxies full of stars that immediately formed and exploded making the higher elements you see today.

The cause of the original expansion is unknowable. It happened outside of the current universe and under laws that may be alien to our universe.

7. bodebliss

Those particle that form and disappear are considered virtual particles.

8. sardion2000

sardion2000 Member

9. bodebliss