ID Lounge What is your favorite Book Genre?

Discussion in 'ID Members Lounge' started by _Angel_1991, Mar 18, 2005.

1. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

I got as many as possible, but give any suggestions if you want.

2. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I like Historical, especially like military, acient history (Alexander the Great, Persian Empire, Japanese/Chinese Dynastys, etc). I also like a good action fiction books, like Tom Clancy, some horror, like Clive Barker, SK, etc. and some sci-fi fantasy, Star Wars, Narnia, LOTR, etc.

When I read them it all depends on the mood. I fell in love with reading books when I was 12, we had this reading contest and you had to read books from a list, at our age level from the school library. And after you read it you had to do a one page report about the book and it was graded by the librarian, to make sure you read the book before proceeding to the next book. I read 125 books that year and was number 1 by one book. Lori was so mad at me cause I beat her, she had won the last 2 yrs. I read some great books back then and just continued to read. I guess its a gene spread down from my mother, she has like huge collection of books and thru the yrs given back to schools and other places probably 10 times that amount.

I never really liked history so much until 9th grade when I took honors world history, but then I sort of lost interest in history until my military days and began learning alot from there.

3. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I voted Non-Fiction: Other.

I rarely read books, but whenever I do it's mostly technical stuff, knowledge that I can apply to the physical world I'm living in.

4. _Angel_1991

Fantasy is my favorite genre because it is a way to get out of this boring world and enter a completely new and exciting one.

5. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:saint2:

All genres - it's a mood thing. Gotta go with what moves you at the time. But in looking at the books I've collected over the years - it looks like Horror and Historical Fiction are the standouts.

B.

6. malik

malik Premium Member

action/adventure..I am assuming detective books are included..
    I like fiction mystery books.. :cool:
    The mystery novels keep me reading and hanging until the very end!
    I just finished "The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler and I really liked it.. .I think it was a mystery fiction genre!:oops::puz:

7. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

I like all kinds of books - I typically go through a book a week. Sometimes I'll start reading a book, and next thing I know it's 5am and the book is done! That's the sign of a great book.

I voted sci-fi, since that makes up a majority of the fiction I'm reading now. I mainly prefer "hard" sci-fi (things that could actually happen based on what we know), since that goes well with my love of science. Looking at my bookshelf, though, military "techo-thrillers" make up the greatest portion of my overall reading, since I have about 50-60 of them in my library.

Current reading list:
    The Fabric of the Cosmos, by Brian Greene (author of The Elegant Universe)
    Isaac Newton, by James Gleick (my favorite popular science author)
    Dubliners, by James Joyce
    The Constitution of Liberty, by Friedrich Hayek
    Collapse, by Jared Diamond
    The Best of the Best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction, ed. Gardner Dozois (The Year's Best Science Fiction proves itself to be the best sci-fi anthology year after year)
    Hong Kong, by Stephen Coonts
    A New Kind of Science, by Stephen Wolfram

That's in addition to my staple of magazine subscriptions, which include:
    Analog
    Scientific American
    New Scientist

Hmm...maybe I do read too much!

8. _Angel_1991

No one can read too much.
    After all, I can go through five books a day...
    And I read a lot....
    KEEP ON READING:gomods::gomods:

9. parrhesia

parrhesia Member

I chose non-fiction: other, though I was hard pressed to even make that choice. I love many genres of books. :)

10. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

various end of the world- new social orders- eschatologies-
    morbid- i know
    so I guess this falls into Sci-fi

11. Malakai

Malakai Member

I usually prefer Biography's.

I am also very keen in books on Ethics, like Randy Cohens - The Good, The Bad, And The Difference.
    I actually recommend that book to anyone willing to read.

12. JRex

JRex New Member

I like history's and biography's. For light reading, I especially enjoy anything about animals, especially horses, but I'm not a fanatic.
    I especially enjoy the approach to and review of history as from the point of view of a social anthropologist. The late British Professor/Historian C. Northcote Parkinson (July 30, 1909 - March 9, 1993) was such a writer. He remains my favorite.

13. Tabbicat

Tabbicat New Member

I prefer fantasy - but the genre is getting a little in-bred with authors using each other's ideas. On the other hand, how many ways can you describe the opposite of the good guys?

14. 71LSPC

71LSPC New Member

I have mostly read spy/military/thriller novels, but have slowly moving into murder mysteries.

15. Tinkleflower

Tinkleflower Member

Much as I like to tell myself I prefer horror and general fiction....the reality is I'm addicted to medical/clinical textbooks, forensic how-to's, theology, and biographies.

There's nothing better than spending a couple of hours flipping through Stedman's....

Though it's very hard to find people to talk to about it all...

(I wish there was a smiley for "melodramatic sigh" :cool: )