Metaphysics What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of living?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by BeyondSciFi, Feb 20, 2005.

1. BeyondSciFi

BeyondSciFi New Member

These rather seemingly simple questions has puzzled mankind for many thousands of years and it still does to this very day. What is this ultimate and universal truth that everyone has been looking for? I, myself have pondered these ideas since a rather early age, but it was only until my later teens that I felt that I have understood what life is really about. Simply put, love is there reason to live life, nothing else you could ever achieve or fell will ever be greater then the feeling of truly loving someone and being loved back. If everyone in the world cared about their fellow man and woman, there would be no wars, no hatred, none of the other things that make life so horrible. In my opinion this is the ultimate truth that everyone has been looking for. But only knowing this is but a small fraction of its meaning, truly understanding it can only be achieved when you actually experience it. When you have a sudden moment of clarity in your life, realizing that there is nothing more important then being with the one you truly love.

Although this is just my opinion... (which I truly believe), I would like to know what you guys think on the subject matter.

2. Ape

Ape Premium Member

This is very weird just 3 min. ago I was about to put a thread on what is the purpose to any life in the universe (same concept) But you beat me to it, anyway I going to say the same thing as I said on the love is blind thread but in more detail so.....
    I'm starting to believe the only reason for any life to live is to survive. Stive threw others who are also tring to survive. Conflict is simply a part of life and love as I see it has no point (no offense my veiw on things) You might think that I have been hurt in a relatonship or I'm too young but I believe you are too obsessed with what you want.
    Day by day you watch people loving hugging kissing flanting there emotions for all to see, "Love is the greatest feeling", is what others see, they want it, you want to feel that burning passion.
    You want the past feeling of being cradeled in your mothers arms and the joy of having your father tickle you and to relize you have grown out of this you seek other forms of the same feeling.
    When you were a young child ignorant to the world not knowing anything of love or the great passion did you want the other sex? Did you ever think of passionate or sexual feelings? But once you are old enough to see how great this is and how amazing all love offers you want it, obsessively want to love another. do you belive your not obsessed? Ha I've never met another who thinks as I do and I not proud of it I see it as a curse, truth that is. truth is a curse. Once realizing things it's not what you want it. Not in the simple way but the complex one. (I'm not making anysense am I?) Wait were was I ohh yeah, you are obsessed with love. When you are exposed to something from the day you were born you will obsess over it.
    I see love as just an affect of the mind. when you want something bad enough your mind will make you believe it. PSYCHOS ALL OF YA! Your all blind. :ham::ch: wake up. But if you don't you'll be as ignorant to the truth as anyone else another grain of sand at the beach , I'm stepping on you with no second thought. Does this all seem negative? Saying love is nothing more than effect produced by the mind, your all ignorant , and life is just to survive. Still negative but really what's wrong with it. It's all true right? Or am I thinking to much? :puz:

3. BeyondSciFi

BeyondSciFi New Member

... lol ... well to answer your post as simply as I can without going crazy. I once thought love was a a bunch of bullshit made up for movies and stories. But I now know better cuz I found my true love. You have to experience it to get it, from the sounds of what you wrote... you have not. Its as simple as that. It is true you dont need love to survive, and the whole point of living is to eat, sleep and mate to pass on your genes to continue evolution. That is the definition in scientific terms, but in philosophical terms... its deeper meaning for intelligent beings is love... as corny as it might sound.:lol:

4. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I'm 15 and your probubly right but maby I will experience it someday and understand but if I keep thinking the way I am will it be the same?

5. BeyondSciFi

BeyondSciFi New Member

You'll know when you'll get it... your only 15, you have plenty of time, so dont worry.

6. badkitty

badkitty Member

Awoken - there are many different kinds of love. I believe the purest and most valuable form of love does not involve lust at all - which seems to be what you are condemning. I love my parents, my children, my friends and my cat - there is no obsession or physical lust involved. When you are able to care more about the welfare and happiness of another than yourself you will know what real love is and it is a good thing.

However, I am not sure about love being the whole purpose of life. There are religions who intentionally renounce love of anyone or anything (Jainism for example) as it interfers with spiritual growth. Now I'm not saying spirituality holds the keys to the meaning of life, only that iy is not so unusual a thought to presume love is not the center of life. So what is? What is the meaning of it all or better yet, is there a meaning for it all? Is there a purpose to our lives - is there some sort of pre-destined path? I don't know and though many claim to have to answers - I don't believe any man can know if there is truly a purpose that transcends this life. So I believe in making my own purpose. Making my own reason and destiny. Taking control of what I can control and responsibility for my decisions and actions.

I believe the best we can do is make the world the best world possible and be as positive an influence as we can. If we all attempt to leave this world a little better for our having been here we will realize a safer, clearner more peacful planet. Yet the ego is a powerful monster that seems to make us all focus too much on our selves and not enough on the rest of the world.

What's it all about Alfie? Well, it is about doing the best you can, living life to the fullest, appreciating and respecting the world and others, causing no harm, contributing to growth, conservation and positiveness and not taking things for granted.

7. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it."
    --Jack Handy--

Ok, Why ask a question you have the answer to, at least your answer to, and if you have your answer to the question, what do you care what I think or even why I exist.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
    --Jack Handy--

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
    --Jack Handy--

"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff."
    --Jack Handy--

Here's my take. The purpose of your life is to serve your object in living. We'll call this "survive as". From your words, your object is to "survive as" a lover of someone. Sounds good. It's your life. Have a good one.

Remember "survive as" will tell you all you want to know about anything.

"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."
    --Jack Handy--

8. BeyondSciFi

BeyondSciFi New Member

yeah, i was think the same thing... people would go crazy if life was perfect. People need conflict in their lives to better understand life itself (among other things), no matter what mean they think that meaning is.

9. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Bode, love the Jack Handey quotes...you may have noticed I use them quite often in my signatures... :)

10. bodebliss

I have, HelenHeaven. They are funny.

11. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

Don't you know anything? The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is.........

3.gif

Now what was the question again? :lol:

12. BeyondSciFi

BeyondSciFi New Member

LOL. If that was a joke I dont get it. But really what does the number 42 have to do with anything? LOL I would love to hear an explanation.

13. invader_chris

invader_chris Member

Read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. It will explain it. Or just wait for the movie.

But in the book, a bunch of pan-dimensional beings build a computer that will tell them the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. It takes seven and a half years to calculate, and it eventually returns the answer 42. The only problem was that no one knew what the question actually was, so they had to build another computer to tell the the question to the ultimate answer. The computer, planet Earth, was blown up five minutes before giving the question.

14. BeyondSciFi

BeyondSciFi New Member

lol. From the way you put it, the books sound very interesting... hehe but I think ill wait for the movie.

15. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

16. bodebliss

Faulty....very faulty....

It's a book....it need not make sense....

First you state this is the question:

"Don't you know anything?(obviously you read my book,ha ha) The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything is........."

Then you say according to the book once the answer 42 was found they didn't know the question....

....Faulty.....Faulty.....Faulty.....Faulty.....Faulty.....Faulty.....

17. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

"Gasp! It's only been one week seince Mizar has been gone..."
    Downloading all my music onto my new MP3 player I started up my comp and will make ONE post.

Hrmm the meaning of life...

The pourpose of life is to live. If you ain't livin you ain't alive and therefore are living, your are dead and not alive.

For me though life is alabout doing what is right and what you know can make you and others happy without hurting anyone. Hey look at me I;m taking a month off and already I'm having some great times. I've finnished one book already and am hoping to finnish 5 more by the end of my absence. I'm happy. My freinds are calling me for advice hey they are happy. If you sit there all day and worry about that damin question your not gona live. Get up grap a book grab a freind go outside on a nice sunny day sit in a feild and go for a senic hike. Then you tell me what the meaning of life is :yes:

18. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

I'm semi with Mizar on this one, because it is a pointless question, the bottm line is we are living NOW, and we have to make the most of it, if you keep living to describe the present you'll miss out because it never stays the same

19. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I'll post the source once I find it again. I once got it off the net (HTML) "BASIC - (from The Teachings, 48 tapes)" and Innerman. It has alot of interesting philosophy. Things I never thought about.

20. bodebliss

Stop The Violins!

Visualize Whirled Peas!