Sociology What If We Abolished Money?

Discussion in 'Sociology' started by Al Vereco, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Al Vereco

Al Vereco Member

"Are you crazy?!?" :o Yeah, yeah, hear me out. :p

First off, the saying that 'Money is the root of all evil" is kinda true. Out of all the crimes that are committed, most are committed out of greed, and most of the remainder are committed out of need. True, some aren't money related but IMO most are! Even the recent troubles in Iraq were (allegedly) over oil and therefore money. Money also encourages dishonesty and corruption, while eroding common goodness. For example: Can't get that building permit? Got caught in possession of illegal substances? No, problem, just slip a blank cheque (check) to the right people and you're sorted! It doesn't *always* work that way, of course, but that kind of thing happens. Also, people with more money 'look down' on those without, as though they're somehow a better person; even if they inherited it all and never worked a day in their life!

And think about this: If you could get everything you need without having to pay for it, wouldn't your life be better? No more insurance payments, no more grocery payments, etc...

See, the problem nowadays, as I see it, is that money is connected with work, and is needed for everyday necessities. We work to get money, and we use money to get food. If we can't work, we don't get money, so we can't get food. (In the real world, people can get government benefits which help them to at least survive, but poorly). If people lose too much money, they lose the ability to afford necessities like food and shelter. Then they can't get jobs because they're not "good enough", so they can't get money, so they can't get food... and they end up in the same 'lesser person' status until they die.

So then: What If We Abolished Money? Well, firstly, all jobs would become voluntary, and all goods and services would be 'free'. In fact, with no money, everything is free.

Jobs: All jobs and companies that involve money would become obsolete, eg: banks, insurers, stockbrokers, etc. Also, all jobs and companies that involve advertising, marketing, sales, etc would be obsolete, since these jobs are solely focussed on increasing sales and turnover; in other words, 'making money'. This significantly reduces the amount of work available, but that's okay because no-one needs to work anyway. But they will work on a voluntary basis. Note: People who have retired and don't need to work often will do so anyway for 'something to do' or 'to feel useful'. With a huge portion of 'unnecessary' jobs removed, there will be plenty of volunteers willing to do the necessary jobs. It's amazing what people are willing to do once they're not 'forced' to do it.

Necessities of Life: How are we ever going to buy food with no money? No problem. All jobs are voluntary, even farmers and truck drivers. In short, everything will be basically the same, except the incentive is no longer money. The incentive is the benefit of the community and society. All people will work as much as they are able and as much is necessary, and will receive food, shelter, and everything they need. People with more stuff will no longer be 'better', just 'greedier' or 'needier'. Oh, yeah, and people will have more respect for each other, so instead of poor people, it would be lazy people that are looked down on.

It wouldn't solve all problems, but it would make things a lot better.

Well, that's what I've thought about on this subject, but I'm sure I haven't thought of everything. What do you guys think? :D

[Edited to add:]
    As far as I can see, the only people who wouldn't want this kind of society are those that are already 'rich' and enjoy being "better" than others.

2. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Ok, heres your problem. Everything is free, why work? You'll find that there would be lazy people, who would not work. These people would not be looked down upon, these people would be most people. With no reason to work, people will have no incentive to help the community. If everything were free, then some people would be overly zealous. What if you wanted a house. Nowadays the bigger you wanted, the more it would cost, but if it were free, the house would get bigger, more resources would be used, If I didn't like a wall in my house, knock it down start again, who cares about the wasted material. Large problems in society would occur through this, They are too numerous for me to even begin to start. A Utopia would take a lot of law and ingineuity to put into place. This law and strictness would spoil it and it would no longer be a Utopia, it's the most well known paradox, due to the human condition. (steroeotypical human) Hope this helps, it's only my opinion though

3. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I think that it would not work. If you could change that to make it so that the amount you were paid is the amount you worked, then you would have a better chance of having the system work.

When you just work "for the good of it" then nothing would get done. When you say "you get paid $15 dollars an hour" then people have to budget what they made, and if they wanted a bigger or better house etc, they have to work for it.

---Pineapple

4. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

They tried that already.

It's called : Communism.

5. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I think the problem with your suggestion comes down to responsibility, honor, and respect. You idea is great, I would actually work in a society like that and would not need a free 40 bedroom home. lol
    But, for the majority, this would be taken advantage of. Sad to say though.

6. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was actualliy Utopianisim which eventually evolved into communisim.

As good as it all sounds I don't see it working. The only way people will work without money is the gain they get in happiness and are truly passionate about their work. BUT I think contary to belief that everyone is truly passionate about something in life. So you might get it to work.

I really don't know.

7. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

It sounds great except for one thing: human nature. Lots of times what seem perfect in theory never work out once it's actually applied.

8. bodebliss

Well , I love to work, but to get truely passionate about my work I'd have to be a Movie Star!

9. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

A method of barter will always exist, as well as the number of have/have not's. Whether it be money, beads, bones, gold, or oil, something will probably always be used for trade of goods or services.

10. Al Vereco

Al Vereco Member

They're good points, Icewolf. I see it this way: Everything is only 'free' because of the voluntary work that people do. Therefore, anyone who doesn't work (out of laziness) is in effect stealing. Also, think about this: If you were a farmer, would you give more produce to a lazy man or to an honest worker? Therefore lazy people lose out. And they are looked down on. Even if most people are lazy, people will still favour the... non-lazy. And if widespread laziness caused a famine, guess who would get whatever food there is! This would of course be explained to people so hopefully no famine could occur. As for houses, I think that at first people would go crazy with mansions and stuff, but would soon realise that all that space and opulence just isn't necessary. After all, people still need to build those mansions voluntarily, and faced with such huge demands and selfishness I think many would just refuse.

11. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

if they refused to build my mansion, i'd call them lazy, wouldn't you?
    and I doubt the farmers would be the wons handing out the food, this seems just like todays society, you work you get given extra money (food) If you don't then the government gives you money (food) either way it's win, win for the lazy people, it's human nature to do as little work as possible, we have evolved into very weak animals.

12. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Such a lovely idea but I don't think we will go back now that we've gone this far. What does technology do to us? Make some of us lazy. Soon we have TV on our cellphone, in our washroom mirror. We can order pizza, we go to restaurant and people brings us food. Doesn't this look like a lazy generation?

Currently you have a movement called "Liberty Dollar" that is trying to stay away from Bank money. IF you haven't look into Liberty Dollar yet, I suggest you go and have a look at it to see what it's all about. You might learn a few of its technique in dealing with laziness.

Now, when we discuss money here beaware of Need and Want. IF no one build a manson for you is it because you don't really need a manson. But if you need food, then they're willing to help you with that because part of human nature we don't want to see another human dying.

13. masqua

masqua Member

I can't see a world without some form of credit for work done or used as a form of trade or commerce.
    The fact that some tribes used seashells as a form of money convinces me that cash doesn't need to carry intrinsic value...like gold or silver coins did.

Paper currency is without ny value whatsoever when the central banking of a country fails. It's happened before that people needed a wheelbarrow to buy a loaf of bread.

The thing I dislike about money is that it carries germs...and if you've ever been in a position to handle it like a teller must, you'd know just how horribly dirty the stuff is.

Sure...let's do away with currencies entirely and go to a system built totally on credits.

The only problem then is that when the power fails, you can't go out and buy your ciggies or 12 pack of beer...bummer...

But then, you could always stash a few gold coins away for those 'rainy days'.

14. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Masqua, thats right

That is why currency is far better than barter, it is so much easier to have a convertible "bond" than it is to try and swap a pair of shoes for a sack of potatoes...

The prblem with barter is not everyone has something of EQUAL VALUE to trade

15. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Don't forget,... we're living in the 21 century. ;) I don't see this happening. Unlikely that it will.

16. bodebliss

They have barter clubs for labor services all over . Try one out.

17. I have to agree with Smirkley. There will always be a barter system ,money or not . I have been unemployed for over a year now a bartering and selling wares helps me survive. For instance I trade moonshine to the old farmers around the hollars here for fruits and veggies. This is how I eat most of the time. I fix fences for them they give me some beef or something else I need. No money will never happen and if it does I beleive the crime rate will rise because some people will always want something for nothing. I am a master of nothing but I can survive...a country boy always does.

18. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

well hippy, my friend, you have access to the net...the world's your oyster!

19. badkitty

badkitty Member

Oh yes - the barter system! That would fix things up right quick! And I'm being serious.

All those talking about laziness - hogwash! The berter system and eliminatio of currency would force everone to learn a trade or skill. In such a system only those who actually produce something valuable would be able to survive. You couldn't get by with just flipping burgers for someone else. You would have to actually create someting, contribute something, be an active participating member in society to survive. You might have to get creative, you might have to get up at the crack of dawn and work till the end of day but you would truly reap what you sow. I'm all for it. We woudln't have fat, lazy overpaid CEO's and struggling underpaid farmers. In fact, it would turn things upsidedown! Suddenly the farmers would be rich and the CEO's would be at their mercy.

Although - being a marketer by trade - nevermind the whole thing! ;)

20. devilwasp

devilwasp New Member

Why not do it the true comunism way?

You want something from someone you need to do a favour for them.

You want a ditch dug he digs it but you could cut the guys grass for a week, you want bread you trade something he needs for something you need.