Astronomy What do you use?

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by Mizar, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

If your an astronomer you use some optics to view the heavens wether it would be your eyes small binoculars or a 24inch smt at your local observatory. so i want to kanow what anyone here uses

i use 8x30 poro pisim binocs, my eyes, old tasco 80mm refractor on cruddy eq, Meade ETX 90, and a Orion XT 10. ( finder charts are for real men screw intelescope! HAHAHAHAHAHA)

so what do you use?

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I am currently using the Meade DS114-EC. Personally, I do not really recommend it at all. Although, if you are a real beginner, it is not toooo bad. Probably a good beginner telescope.

I am saving for the Astro-physics Starfire EDT 130mm f8.35. Expensive, but well worth it. I got to use one once and was astounded at the views. Blew mine away hands down! But, so did the price... ha ha ha

The Maksutov-Cassegrain would be the ultimate! But, at over $10,000 US, that will be a dream for a while. ;)

3. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

i considered the 114 meade ds for myfirst scope i went aginst it bcause of
    1 too much plastic
    2 collomination

but an astrophysics dear lord a dream scope im saving for orions new 100 skyview ed. or the 80 for a travel scope.

i hope you get that astro physics thoes are the best

4. JcMinJapan

You chose right with your option. I have seen the 90 and it looks better than mine.

The astro-pysics are the best in my opinion. I have about half saved. Hopefully will get the other half by next year christmas... ha ha ha

5. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

My eyes and a mountain so im away from all the city lights :cool:

---pineapple

6. spacedoubt

spacedoubt Member

I was given a Meade for Christmas about 6 years ago.
    You are right on about the collimation..I have yet to get mine right, I keep having to put objects off to the side of the field of view..:dn:

Time for a new scope...

So for now, I use a Camera, and binoculars..
    Or just my eyes:)

7. 71LSPC

71LSPC New Member

Currently I use an Orion Skyquest 8 with a Dobsonian mount. There is no better way to learn the sky, then using your eyes. Forget intelescope and autotrack.

After I bought my scope, I got switched to working nights, yuck.

Clear skies.

8. JcMinJapan

I agree... the autotracks are great for finding the stars, but nothing really beats the search... ;) You actually learn so much about the sky by doing that. Alot more fun to be able to lay on your blanket and be able to point to the star. If you have the auto-tracker, you really do not think about that stuff. But, that is just my personal taste.