Technology War Against P2p

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tablet, Jan 22, 2005.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

There's a war going on right now in the field of technology. It has to do with P2P (peer-to-peer a file sharing program). Now they're trying to come up with a more strict law on copyright/protection. IF the law is passed then those that create P2P Software will be arrested and thrown in jail.

I personally love the idea of P2P, it's inovative, it's technology advancing. However there is a dark side to it and I'm sure you know the dark - sharing illegal files. I believe the law that is preventing people to create or help advance P2P Technology is stupid, instead of creating new law why not find ways to make it work both way? Which side are you on this war? Are we going to ban Library photo copying machines? There's always a good and a bad to everything, it's just the way it is when you introduce something. Stopping P2P all together is a "NO NO" on my list.

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

tablet - forgive me - what exactly is P2P? How does it work, who owns it, who uses it...

3. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

It stands for Peer to Peer . Napster is an example of P2P in action . You basically search other peoples computers for files you may want or need (with their permission) and alow others to download from your computer as well . You choose the files you wish to share . They do the same.

It leads to alot of bootlegging of music and movies .

I think there is a main server that does the networking , but what you choose to share is up to you . The P2P participants are the ones that the record and film industry are going after .

4. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Yup...most P2P programs like Kazaa, and the old Napster worked by connecting to a network of servers, called Fastrack and Gnutelle respectively. The RIAA and so forth have been trying to shutdown the servers, like what they did with Napster, crippling it.

When will they learn that they are losing VERY little money. CDs are still selling MILLIONs of copies, so are movies. They need to stop blaming everything on filesharing.

Programs like Bit Torrent dont use centralized servers, they just need some servers set up as "Trackers" to tell the files which IP to go too, they never actually handle the files themselves.

5. Bleys

OOOOHHHH! Sorry you needed to explain it - I am over 30 now and completely clueless about such things.

Back to the discussion then. Is there a monetary amount that the record or film industry is able to show on this "sharing?" Is it even close to "old" blackmarket dealers who sell DVD/CDs at your local swapmeet?

B.

6. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I used one called bearshare . You could see the amount of people downloading songs and it was more than a couple ! I think if the industry was to record just the observed downloads , they could put a dollar amount on it .

It's definitely more $$$ than the old days when I recorded my Styx and Journey albums and sold tapes for 3 bucks !

* just found this ! Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines

7. DreamLandMafia

8. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Hmmmmm.... the page changed , it was a P2P story that covered all of Bleys questions , will try to fix .

Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines

* bizarre ! can't get that one to work .... If you go to the first link , the article is listed under Top Stories . online music....

9. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Bleys, it stands for Police 2 Protect. Those we care. :p

Programs like Bit Torrent dont use centralized servers, they just need some servers set up as "Trackers" to tell the files which IP to go too, they never actually handle the files themselves.
    Which is a technology in itself. This is a great option for transfering files. Suppose we ban this concept now, soon or later we will have to find ways to transfer file to each other for legal purposes... so we're going to think of another idea and that idea is.. P2P. But wait... that idea was banned, so that mean we have to find another Idea... and somehow it lead us again to P2P. But wait, it's banned! Hmm... can you think of a better idea? Hmm... Oh I got it! P2P!!! Am I original or what??

There are soo many ways of transfering file you won't believe the method they use. During the Napster era people hide programs/movies inside mp3 files because napster only support mp3 file downloading. This to me is like real life, you have people sending drug from one country to another using trucks, cars.. ect.. You basically can't stop the digital thieve because you haven't done so in real life. I can see that things will complicate as technology advance.

p2p is like a gun. It can both protect and kill.

10. websurfer

websurfer Member

click here for oddtod's link

There is no war against p2p, just the aftereffects of technology are taking place. RIAA is just wasting their time.

P2P will always live long and prosper.

11. Bleys

:puz: Bare with me guys - I find this fascinating...

It just seems like there is no real monetary harm here. I remember making two or three copies of my album, CD or tapes for my friends and the kid down the block who would make tapes (CDs now) of a bunch of you favorites on a single CD. It didn't make or break the music industry in the 80s - why is it such a concern now?

Another thing - I have this DVDX copy software - it will copy anything regardless of copyright protects - why hasn't it been sued?

Your intent pupil,
    Bleys

BTW - go Steelers

12. DreamLandMafia

Actually...it has. Most versions of it are now illegal.

13. Bleys

Hmmmm....

Let me clarify my earlier post. I do have the program but I only use it to copy personal photos and movies. :o

B.

14. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Well , I think if you place even a minute monetary value on individual songs ( let's say 5 cents) and multiply it by millions of shared files , then there is a cash flow that is not making it to the power brokers of the industry .

I heard one artist say that he was irate that he had to give up the rights to his work to a corporation , and gave his blessings to those who wanted to hear it by means of P2P . technicaly , he had no legal rights to offer this , and he acknowledged that , he was just P.O.'d

The thing with dubbing tapes 20 years ago is that you could only do 1 at a time and had to transfer the product in a tactile form . Now a person who allows his stored files to be shared can be uploading several songs at once 24/7 .

It adds up , but the industry has acknowledged that more people are purchasing legal copies of songs for thier (MASS MARKETED) iPods , and are seeing revenue in a more suitable amount .

I think if I was an artist , I would be torn between the prospect of my hard work being given away without my consent , and the desire to share it altruisticly .