Lit & The Arts Voltaire's Candide?

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by Bleys, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Voltaire\'s Candide?

My husband has recently been hospitalized with pancreatitis and is having some complications. A friend of his, who has been struggling with Crohn's Disease for many years, brought him a copy of Voltaire's Candide. He says that Voltaire is a necessity for anyone in crisis.

Can anyone tell me about this book or Voltaire in general?

Bleys-

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

3. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

I have not read much Voltaire...he's a tough read....but have also had it recommended to me at times

very good literature..it just depends what mood you are in....

Very good philosophy thou...I have struggled thru some chapters a few years back

4. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Thanks much for the posts so far. Z - I took a look at your links and after careful consideration and reflection (snicker)- I find that Voltaire is someone whose company I would have enjoyed. A true pragmatist - Shyt happens, now deal with it. A man after my own heart and definitely reflective of my husband's view on life.

Maybe a more thoughtful way to express Voltaire's style - that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

Thanks again to you all-
    Bleys:love:

5. Off_the_Street

Off_the_Street New Member

I'd be careful reading Candide if you had, for example, abdominal stitches, because you'll laugh so hard you might rupture yourself.

Volataire, like that other famous philosopher Off_the_Street, was a product (escapee?) from a Jesuit education, and he blasts them big time. He also blasts war, the new world, science, religion, and anything else that gets in his way.

Voltaire's protagonist is Candide, a naive young man who worships at the feet of his philosophy-teacher, Dr. Pangloss (Wilhelm Liebniz in disguise). And there's Candide's true love Cunegonde, with whom he is reunited in the end (despite her veneral diseases)....

Read the book; you'll enjoy it. It helps if you're familiar with the French Enlightenment and its players -- just like you'd get more from Gulliver's Travels if you were familiar with 18th-century English politics -- but even if you're not, it's still a great read.