Sociology Virginity pledges do not reduce STD risk: May encourage high risk sexual behavior

Discussion in 'Sociology' started by mscbkc070904, Mar 20, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I found this interesting, and it shows that although these types think they are doing they are not in all aspect, this is due to lack of education or failure to listen during sex ed class.

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:shk:

This is why we need better sex education. By avoiding the questions and not openly discussing sexual behaviors we are raising ignorant children. The handwriting is on the wall - HIV rates are increasing in not only this country but worldwide. Women make up the largest increases each year. Hormonally challenged kids will continue to get their jollies and have found away to justify their behavior ala Bill Clinton - oral don't count.

Seems pretty clear - the call for abstinence isn't working - time for indepth education about how STD/HIVs are transmitted and what can be done to prevent them.

Just my 2 cents.
    B.

3. mscbkc070904

My thought, just came to mind, is to reveal the reality by taking this kids on a field trip to the local hospital or clinic for a course and let doctors, nurses and even patients attest to their reality or have them come to school to show them atroscity, but it hits more at home if there is ward that holds patients, so students can see the morbid reality.

But of course then you would have some parents/school officials/politicians etc think that was sick and unPC, but hey, screw the feelings the PC crap, either face the reality or become it!

4. Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick Member

Sex education is a must, people may argue about the age but it must be at the time when the child is wanting to know which is usally about 11ish. But we also need to adress the problems that sometimes make people have sex, insecurity in a relationship and wanting your partner to stay with you , lack of confidence etc.

5. mscbkc070904

I agree with you on that Fitz, alot of girls and guys think sex will solve the relationship problem and its not the answer or those holding out give in cause the boy or girl they want wont 'give it up' so to speak, so they break down and do it, for what? Maybe sex ed should also teach or incorporate the pyschological affects of relationships involving sex.