Sociology Video Game inside Classroom!??

Discussion in 'Sociology' started by tablet, Jan 23, 2005.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

It's clever how they do this. Just because "It will help improve decision making" we have to put game in classroom? I don't know what's next... I guess if it fits the logic, anything goes.

It should not be called "GAME" when you put it into a classroom. Please call it something else beside "game"

2. websurfer

websurfer Member

Great idea. I fully support such actions. If you think about it, how many people in their thirties know what happens in the Kreb cycle. Not that many, similar to any other textbook concept learned in school.

Parents should learn to research school related topics on the net with their kids. Their are a lot of animations, flash designs, etc out there that most people in school don't even know about.

3. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I think internet access for school is good enough to find out how fast a car go. IF they want students to learn interactively then buy software that is appropriate for the specific studies. Not video game. Better yet let them visit flash site as you mentioned. IF "grand theft auto" ever get into classroom, that's it. I don't know what else to say. You might as well introduce sex game for sex education or counter-strike for police study.. or whatever. I believe students should learn how to use search engines and forum so they don't depend too much on video game for their knowledge.

Here's something else but on the same subject.

4. alternateheaven

alternateheaven New Member

Last semester at college my work study assignment was as an assistant in a classroom for a variety of classes ranging from Basic Computer Literacy to advanced classes on Microsoft Access. One thing I noticed in the classroom was that the network admins had removed all the normal microsoft games from the computers. Now most would think this is a good thing to prevent students from screwing around and not getting work done, but the professor and I think differently.

Play a game of Solitare for a few minutes and think about each action you perform. Click and drag, double click, single click, using the File menu and closing the game. These actions though simple in nature make up the basics of interaction with the mouse which is one of the biggest hurdles I've seen those new to computers face in the intro courses.

I'm not so sure how I feel about mainstream video games being brough into classrooms, but I do think that for beginners Solitaire really should be left on since one or two class periods of playing around with it would get most people used to the mouse versus unintersting follow-along teaching that seems to be more difficult than anything else for new computer users and especially older people going back to school for the first time in a few decades.