Puzzles & Games Unusual paragraph - Solved

Discussion in 'Puzzles & Games' started by helenheaven, Jan 4, 2005.

1. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out.

[Edited on 7-17-2005 by pineappleupsidedown]

2. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

It reminds me of a book I was reading about a week ago. The book does not contain the most common letter in the alphabet, that being "e". Your paragraph is grammatically correct but there is not one single use of the letter "e"

[Edited on 4-1-2005 by Icewolf]

3. tablet

tablet Premium Member

You are not helen. ....

4. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Was I right?

5. Tweek!!!

Tweek!!! New Member

6. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Yes there is no E in the paragraph but I believe there is more to it than that. Hence Helen didnt answer if Ice was correct, doesnt help. Maybe I am looking into it to hard, but I think the vowels used maybe a code or something like morse, not sure, the A's throw it off.

7. monkeipeg

monkeipeg New Member

there's no x or j either...i'm sure more letters are missing also

8. Rancor

Rancor New Member

No E,J,V,X. Thats all I could find , anyone care to enlighten me?

9. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Ice, I think you are correct. The paragraph is an example of a lipogram - a written text deliberately composed of words not having a certain letter.

Was the book you were reading "Gadsby: Champion of Youth" by Ernest Vincent Wright? In its more than 50,000 words, the letter 'e' does not appear even once.

Doc

10. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

That sounds incredibly hard to achieve , especially 50,000 words !

* gets out thesaurus.... (not a dinosaurus)

11. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Sorry I never replied to this thread.

Yes, the missing e makes the paragraph unusual as it is the most commone letter in the English alphabet.

12. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

lol, edit (solved by icewolf, sorry it feeds my ego)

13. Gravare

Gravare Premium Member

no e's