Puzzles & Games Twins-solved

Discussion in 'Puzzles & Games' started by pineappleupsidedown, Sep 6, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

You are walking down a path when you reach a fork in the road. Twin boys are sitting below a sign which reads "One of these boys always tell the truth. The other always lies, One of these paths is the correct route, the other you will despise."

What one question should you ask either boy (you dont know which one is which) to figure out which path you should take?

----pineapple

2. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Ask a twin "Are You a girl" the one that says no will be the one that tells the truth. Then you can ask him which one the correct route is.

3. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

But you only get one question, not two...

Still thinking about this one...

4. ilovepizza

ilovepizza Premium Member

dreamlandmafia, I like your answer!!!!!

It is original so I think he got it right even if you are only allowed one question.

5. pineappleupsidedown

lol, yeah, honorable mention definately goes to Dreamlandmafia.

6. Cinderloft

I would pick up the fork, throw it down the left path, and ask one of them, "Did I just throw the spoon down the right path?"

Would that work?

7. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I've heard this one , and I think you need to be able to ask each a question if not the same question , I am still trying to work thru it with one question tho.

8. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Call them twin A and twin B .

Ask twin A : " If I ask twin B if your (twinA) path is the correct one , will he tell me the truth .

If twin A is the liar , then he will answer no (because twin B , being the truth teller would say yes it is , and you would take path A )

If twin A is the truth teller then he will answer no (because twin B being the liar would say no that is not the correct path , and again you would take path A)

I think thats it ...

9. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Oops...i read the post to fast...i didnt see that you could only ask one question. :D:(

10. pineappleupsidedown

lol, im surprised this is taking so long, there are much harder questions on this forum that were answered very quickly.

the problem with your guess oddtodd is that, as you said, weither or not Twin A is telling the truth, he will still say "No" to your question, which doesnt help anything. And you can get the correct path by asking one twin one question, not one question each.

Cinderloft, Yours would not work because one would say yes and the other would say no. OR if you literally meant the right path(as in opposite of left) then you would only determine who is the liar, but you have already used your one question.

---pineapple

11. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Ok how bout this : Ask twin A : " is the path B the correct one ?"

If twin A is the truth teller he will say yes , If he is the liar..............AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Ok one more try after a hot shower . For you Janes Addiction fans I'll be " Standing in the shower thinking "

12. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

ask twin A : would the other tell me yours is the correct path .

A=truthteller in front of correct path A , answer would be no , take path A

A=liar infront of correct path A , answer would be no , Take Path A

A= truthteller in front of wrong path A , answer would be yes , take path B

A = liar in front of wrong path A , answer would be yes , take path B

Is that it ?

13. Cinderloft

The problem is oddtodd that you still dont know which one tells the truth, so you can not determine the correct path. This boggles my mind.

C.

14. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

But the answer would be the same by each twin , you don't have to know which . No = path A...... Ok I see what you mean , I will edit my last post to clear that up .
    OT

Always ask the A path bugger .

15. pineappleupsidedown

Yay!! you got it oddtodd!! Only it isnt that complicated.

Just ask, "which path would your brother tell me to take?" and go the other way.

Because the truth teller knows his brother lies and would tell you the wrong answer, and the liar would know his brother tells the truth but would still tell you the wrong answer.

----pineapple

16. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Good !!!

Haven't been so peeved at a problem since I was 12 and took apart my coasterbrake to "fix" it .(switched to calipers)

17. Cinderloft

There we go! Good job, this one had me chomping at the bit. Im glad you got it. Good one pineapple, got any more?