Zoology Tropical fish

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by intrepid, Sep 1, 2004.

1. intrepid

intrepid New Member

Tropical fish have been a passion of mine my whole life. I have extensive knowledge on this matter and if you have any questions I would be more than willing to answer them for you. Problems, diseases, or just curious. Keep in mind this is for freshwater fish, my knowledge maritime ecosystems is limited.

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Got a question about the run of the mill goldfish. We have a goldfish that has lived 6 years now. All the other ones have dies within 2-3 years and this one outlives them all. We have heard from others that goldfish seem to be like that. Most will live only a few years, while some will live 20. Not sure of the truth in this. Have any idea on this?

3. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

If a goldfish or multiple goldfish are in a tank, just a regular one without a heater or anything fancy, how long will they live? Ours maxed out at 4 months. Actually, when we got the first two, the smaller one died cause the bigger one ate all its food. Then we got two more, so we had three. One of the new ones jumped out of the tank and we found it on the floor the next morning. In the next 2 weeks after that, the others stopped eating and just died. Well, the last one was still sorta alive but not really, it was not swimming, just sorta listing left and right, bump sideways into the side of the tank, etc. A fin would move every few minutes, so I did what I felt needed to be done and took him to the porcelin graveyard. We did have a ph balancer for the water, so that was all good, as well as the best food pellets you could get. I think though in reflection that the tank was exposed to a lot of sunlight during the day, that may have played a part in it, slowly cooking our "little dears" or so the wife to be said. Any thoughts?

4. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

That could have been it. Also a quick change in temp will do it too.

---pineapple

5. JcMinJapan

my poor little fishy then. His tank gets direct sunlight, I never ph balance the tank, When I change his water in his tank, I just plop him in another bowl sometimes cooler or warmer. I guess is food is good though... ha ha ha But, he is hearty for sure. Actually, he is very big compared to the Goldfish now. No idea on the lifespan stuff eh? oh well, he is part of our family now. BTW: His name is Bob. I got it from the movie What about Bob. Yes, I do know the name of the fish was Gill, but Gill was just not cool enough for me. Bob was the coolest on the show. ;)

6. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

Bill Murry is king. That is for sure. As for ph balancing and sunlight, have come to find out they are not good. You have a super fish. Does he swim in a tank filled with saki?

7. JcMinJapan

He is in one giant Pina Colada baby!