Earth Science topograhical map of antarctica

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by junior_smith, Sep 3, 2004.

1. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

Is it possible to have an under-ice topographical map of antartica?

IF YES

does anyone know where i could find such a map?

IF NO

would it be possible with GPR or EOS to create a topographical map of antarctica

2. amantine

amantine Premium Member

You can make approximate maps with seismography. Maybe you can also use drilling to determine the distribution of different layers to get an idea of the shape of the land under the ice.

There are topograhical maps of antarctica, but they are not online. The best I was able to find was a map based on satellite images of the USGS here. This is only a small part of antarctica. You could try your local library or university library for an atlas with a map of antarctica or maybe a topographical map of antarctica.

I also checked my atlasses, but they only have non-topographical maps with ice, usually on scales like 1:30000000. I doubt that will help you.

3. junior_smith

could there be something underneath the ice?
    is that possibel?

4. junior_smith

i just read that there are classified images of antarcttica.

5. amantine

amantine Premium Member

There is definately rock underneath the ice. At some places, the ice sometimes retreats and makes the rock visible. I think seismographic images also show rocks. The problem is, though, that it is very difficult to get clear images of the rock under the ice. The ice has different densities and structure in different places and I think this will obscure any details of settlements, if that it is what you mean by 'something underneath the ice'.

6. junior_smith

yeah i meant the rocks.

like if there was no ice on antarctica what would it look like.

7. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

there is indeed a rocky continent under the ice sheet. Vertabrate fossils have been found there that show it was once much more centrally located than it is now. I know for a fact that there are topo maps of the rock, not ice, but I dont know how they were made, I would imagine GPR or Satelite imaging of some sort. I will try to find a digital copy but I dont know if it is available digitally.

Z Out

8. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

antarctic centre

Hi

I live in Christchurch NZ where the international expeditions set off to Antarctica...we have a great centre here who would be able to give you the info you need

http://www.iceberg.co.nz/

cheers

9. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

10. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

keyhole.com can give you a week's worth of topo's for free.

I think I would like to know how much ice is really disappearing. By looking at some of these topo's it's really easy to see the effect of pollution on the estuaries around the globe. You can get down to 2 meters in some sections, I was disappointed about the Soviet and China details, but very excited about the amount of features I was able to glean and save.

The problem with topo's is of course you only see the ice, not the dirt. But seeing the big pieces of ice broken off was pretty interesting.

11. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

12. blue

blue Premium Member

There is also an ice capped lake in ant.- liquid h2o underneath. They're not sure if anything resides within as they dont want to contaminate it.