Zoology Tiger Mates With Lion, Gives Birth to “Liger” Cub in Siberian Zoo

Discussion in 'Zoology' started by /Future Corpse/, Dec 8, 2004.

1. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

I don't know why they say it was the first ever as I have heard of it happening before. Perhaps they mean those specific breeds. Regardless, it is still pretty cool.

2. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Perhaps the first in Russian history?

There's one in Reno, NV, at the Sierra Safari Zoo. Bengal Tiger mom, African Lion dad.

Hobbs the Liger

It's also interesting to note that Ligers (and presumably Tigons - Tiger dad, Lion mom) are typically larger than either Tigers or Lions.

Maybe you could do some more research on Ligers and Tigons and post a "A Closer Look:" entry here? I think it would be great. Check out the other "A Closer Look:" threads for an idea about format, etc.

Great post!

3. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

This is an excellent website about big cats that has really great information on various hybrids and little-known species. (Some fall into the cryptozoology category, but the site does a good job of presenting just facts).
    Tiger Territory. The Internet's most massive information and tiger photograph resource.
    As drlau said, I believe this has happened before, and the website states it's a cross "occurring quite often in captivity by accident". I"m not sure that 'often' is entirely accurate, but apparently it's not unprecedented. It's definitely interesting though, thanks so much for posting the info!

4. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I cant figure out why they said it was the first time. Maybe for the zoo? Or do the reporters/zoologists not have the internet?

One thing to add: Ligers and Tigons are hybrids. This means they cannot reproduce.

---pineapple

5. Gopher

Gopher Member

Ligers and Tigons are definitely interesting and beautiful animals.

Is it 100% that they could never reproduce? or just highly unlikely say 98%? Seems irresponsible to say 100%...nature likes to throw a curveball every now and then.

6. drlau

drlau Premium Member

I was wrong in my earlier post to presume that tigons would be larger. Typically they are smaller than tigers or lions.

Also, found that there have been ligers that have reproduced with normal tigers or lions.

Ligers are enormous!
    Liger Standing

7. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

Sounds cool as I do find the topic at hand interesting. I'll take a look into it.:D