Astronomy The star and what are they?

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by tablet, Jan 11, 2005.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

My knowledge of Astronomy is absolutely nil! So I'm wondering when you look up in the sky at night and assume that there's no light pollution, you see stars. Many of them. The question is, what star am I looking at? They all have names (well, the most important one?). How does men go about studying it and its position and what is it all about?

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

The position of the stars has always confused me because everything is in motion . But astonomers have done a good job mapping the motion and distance of stars in relation to the earth , as well as thier size and composition.
    I look at the stars as the seeds to life that come from one electron and one proton (Hydrogen) . A star can form all the elements up to Iron in the course of its life and the burning and fusion of hydrogen into heavier elements , but when a star goes supernova it is only then that it is capable of producing elements heavier than iron !

It is all about a search for our location in respect to the rest of the universe , a search for signs of the patterns of light and energy that make up our solar system(looking for life similar to our own with our pattern of life as a template)

Iron is # 26 on the periodic table , it is also in our blood . I find it facinating that the base metal in our blood is the end product of a star that does not go supernova .

Without supernova we would not have : gold , a standard of wealth , Germanium , an ingredient in computer chips , uranium that makes the big boom booms that we all fear .

The stars are life . They are the past , the prestent , and our future if we can just figure them out .

I would expect a robot from the future to know all this !

Where is Mizar ?