ID Lounge The "self" Poll

Discussion in 'ID Members Lounge' started by tablet, Jan 15, 2005.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

The \"self\" Poll

Don't rush! take a moment and think about this carefully. And I mean c a r e f u l l y. Then we can have discussion about it afterward. The question is: How many "You" do you think there is in YOU? Do you think you have more than one personality? double? triple?

2. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

You know no one will take this poll. It would be too self-incriminating for most, though I see allot of people who bear the shadows of the ones that raised them, or are the clone of their mother's or father's personality. The voice you hear in your head that says steer clear of that, or you should be doing this, who is that? Is that your conscience or what is a conscience, other than the marks of the ones that raised you stamped on your mind in such a way as to be a permanent pall on your survivability.

Oh , I'm not talking classical psychology's def of multiple personalities, I'm saying when you want to do something, but are suddenly conflicted, and then you go and make the wrong choice for you, and later wonder why. That's being in someone else's personality. It causes accidents, ill health, bad outcomes.

[Edited on 1-15-2005 by bodebliss]

3. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:cheers:
    Kudos to you tablet - I, for one, don't mind answering at all. I am secure in who I am.

B.

4. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Double...I think theres 2 people in me at times.

5. tablet

tablet Premium Member

This will be an interesting discussion, no? I voted triple.

6. badkitty

badkitty Member

While I vote 1 - there is one me underneath it all. There is one me that is present in everything I do and say. However, I recognize that I at times put on a cloak of a different persona in different situations. For example, I admit I use foul language at time however, I would never do so in business. I love to get out into nature and get my hands dirty and get sweaty - though I make sure that in social gatherings I am well groomed and refined. I like to drink wine and be silly at times with my friends but would never do so in front of my boss. I like to think deeply and study the great philosophers of the world and I like heavy metal music and head banging. I love a good party and I like to meditate.

This may seem to indicate that there are many "mes" in here but there aren't. It is just that I am diverse, flexible, multifasceted and complex. This is all me - just one me with many different means of expressing me. Even if these expressions seem to contradict themselves they do not - they just represent the complexity of me, and you.

7. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Depend on how you look at it. What do you think of actor/actress? Do they have multiple personality? I think so. Jim Carry for example. He's a great actor, I believe it takes personality to be such great actor. no? Can we find a good actor who have only one personality?

Well of course, there can only be one of you inside you. But what is the cause that make people think there's more than one of them? You might have multi-personality without realizing it because one of it might deny the fact that it exist?

8. badkitty

badkitty Member

Tablet:

I don't think a good actor must have multiple personalities. It only means that they are skilled at emulating different personalities. They are "acting", pretending. It is a skill.

9. tablet

tablet Premium Member

But if you keep on doing it, doesn't it make you're part of it? That you too becomes it?

10. badkitty

badkitty Member

Does that mean that Sharon Stone has become a serial killer or that Sylvester Stalone has become a mercinary?

11. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

We use to be a bit confused concerning this matter, but upon much deliberation it was agreed that we were different aspects of the same personality. One person, many posibilities.

12. badkitty

badkitty Member

Future: Kudos - well said. And funny too!

13. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I voted only 1. There can only be 1 you. You are yourself, you make what every aspect of yourself by defining who you are as you continue to grow and mature thru the ages.

Its much like DNA, you are made up of different parts all put together as 1. Therefore you are unique in your own way and no one else can be like you, even if you have multiple personalities, not one of the personalities is a solid one thing, only a mood or feeling.

14. tablet

tablet Premium Member

You are correct. There can only be one DNA and can only be one you. But we're talking about the mind and it can be split. Those little/tiny agent in your mind can be split and grouped to have its own identity.

15. bodebliss

The object of humans is to survive at the highest level possible for us, according to our abilities. In the process, we from an early age take on the personalities of the dominate individuals around us. It has nothing to do with intelligence, as the fix goes in before the ability to use the brain goes on, and it is usually the personality of the dominate parent or guardian. This person who ruled your days and nights might have wedged themselves in thru domination or sympathy.

In certain environments or situations these other personalities will be activated and you will be dominant via methods that may not be relative or valid or optimal to the current situation(don't tell me you haven't seen this). If the personalities that were instilled on you were instilled at a time of weakness(during times of illness or injury) then when you are yourself you will be weak(fearful, in pain, in need of sympathy, etc). It can be dramatic, let's say somedays you feel great, and a world beater, and other days you can't get out of bed for no obvious reason, or it can be subtle, somedays everything is fine, and other days you have a myriad of pains and non-specific irritations. This can lead non-optimal lives, accidents, and illnesses.

You say, "everyone has problems", and I say, "no, not really". Everyone who is conflicted has problems. If there was only you, there would be no problem.

[Edited on 1-20-2005 by bodebliss]

16. switchblade

switchblade Member

A thought........you read about these people who for whatever reasons lose part(s) of their memory (without any head injury) and wake up thinking they are years younger. Although that was how they were back then, that is not who they were in the present due to life experience etc. Would it not be possible for the brain to contain many of these past states, where yes they were you but you would say that that is no longer the choices, likes/dislikes, priorities etc, that govern who you are now. Could the brain lock personality states for it's own survival, just incase of partial memory lose. Could these past hidden personality traits be considered to be a seperate person?

17. bodebliss

switchblade,

I think that would be stress avoidance. There have been people who have gone blind or been paralyzed in a similar fashion. What caused the original stress condition to develop would be more interesting as then you could heal the human.

I can see a time when there will be an easy batch of effective ways to clean up these life sapping others, but can anyone imagine a world or news show w/o drama, " Today there were no crimes, no accidents, no mistakes were made, no bad products were sold, government made no bad laws today, no wars were fought, inflation steady, production steady.", you won't recognize that world.

The only hurtle to eternal happiness on Earth then would genetic twistedness, but if they cure genetic problems before they cure the spirit of humankind the vying to accumulate material excess on the physical Earth will destroy it all. We have to do both at once, or neither at all.

18. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Imagine this, a boy in school who never heard of multi-personality, never heard of such idea (so his thought on it was his own free thought)

"There's two of me."

What caused the person to say that?

19. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

"There's two of me."

What caused the person to say that?

As you grow, you are still defining yourself, to ask yourself if there is 2 of you, there isnt, there is you, a part of you is confused, asking themselves is there 2 of me, or is there me that has seperated myself....ok got me confused on this now...i know what i am trying to say but I got myself confused. Help and pyschologist in the house?

20. OdraNoel

OdraNoel New Member

2 heads are better than one.

A child's mind is open to possibility.
    This is beauty.
    Dare we be as possible as a child?

If you remember childhood, or when you were a 'different' person, are you not still those states?

If you are one genetic map, but multiple personalities, are you not then going to get more Christmas Presents?

Alright that was silly, but I think the matter comes down to how many brains you have.... i.e :1
    (for anyone with more than one brain reading this, please U2U me, I'd like to be your manager and agent!)

One life, multiple personalities.. i.e: even a prson with Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD) can only be ONE of those people at a time can't they? Why?

I agree though that you can be many things.... and that actors are an excellent way to view this. Actors KNOW that they are acting though... (alright except for Tom Cruise).............. whereas MPD sufferers may not.

Yes they may! No they may not! Yes they may! No they may not! Pass the salt please Odra Noel, No you get it Odra Noel, you're closest. OK that's it I'm not talking to me anymore.

:lol::no::mad::D

[Edited on 21-1-2005 by OdraNoel]