News @ ID The Patriot act

Discussion in 'News @ ID' started by Mizar, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

OK. I know that this gives the goverment right to presue a person against their rights if they suspect terrorist envolvement but what the heck is it really?

Someone want to give me a mildly detailed discription of the patriot act? what it does? WHo it effects? etc...

2. tablet

tablet Premium Member

I want to know too! But what I heard is that the Patriot Act gives government Total POWER over your RIGHT in time of crisis (when the Patriot Act is activiated). It allows secret execution.

Edit: Bingo. Now I know why signature is not showing... :) You have to log in and post msg instead of doing it on guest.

[Edited on 1-9-2005 by tablet]

3. Young William

Young William Premium Member

Good question Mizar,
    The Patriot Act is a combination of many different items sort of slammed together (forced legislation). It's a piece of legislation that was hurried in light of a need to provide a "solution."

Although the better majority of the 9-11 terrorists were of Saudi decent, the pilots of all four downed aircraft recieved training on U.S. soil (Florida). Since this type of training is very expensive, many students utilize every available financial route. In the case of the terrorists, they paid for their flight training using credit cards obtained very easily and aided by the laundered money that these rats obtain through such things as drugs, and other smuggled items.

The Patriot Act is so contraversial because it extends the powers of the U.S. government "beyond" the constitutional realm, at least in the opinions of some people. It basically opens up the Privacy Act of the 1970's to allow for additional information when individuals seek financial assistance (most types of credit).

I would suggest searching the website of the U.S. Congress for more information.

4. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

it is a huge infirngment on human rights, anything that previously would have required a warrant can be done under the patriot act, its a bit too much big brother for me

5. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

If you actually read the patriot act it seems like it leaves many things to interpretation and some of them can be abuse.

When the patriot act was passed, the congress did not even took the time to read it.

And that should tell you as how concern are our leaders when it comes to the citizens of this country rights.

When you have the time read the act, and remember you are not reading something from a communist country but your own democratic one.

6. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

post accidently edited by the Department of Homeland Security.

Sorry dreamland - I'm such a girl.:o

[Edited on 1-11-2005 by Bleys]

7. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

Itsn't that funny that they were not allowed to read it and they are suppoused to be for the citizens of this country.

My husband always said that he will not sign anything that he can not read in big letters.:yes:

You never know when you will be signing your life away.

8. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I love ya - but BS. The bill was fully open and available for review. Any Congressman - yes Conyers I'm looking at you - who didn't take the time to read it is a complete liar or grossly incompetent and his constituents should be outraged.

And the problem is not the Act itself but the possibility for misuse. If you actually read the
    Patriot Act in its entirety - it's an excellent tool for combating terrorism. And therein lies the rub - anything that will capture terrorists can also be used to prosecute other "crimes against the state" whether they be real or perceived.

There are two cases that I am currently following that are being prosecuted under the Patriot Act and neither actually involves "true terrorism." If they are successfully prosecuted we are all in for a world of hurt.

B.

9. blueknight

blueknight New Member

There were originally good intentions in drafting the legislation, but it can be and IS abused all the time. In my profession of law enforcement, the legislation can be used for raiding drug houses and breaking up gangs, which in itself is good. The danger lies in the fact that a raid can be conducted on a house WITHOUT a search warrant and the officers can submit their reports after the raid thereby justifying a "post-raid" search warrant. I have seen this sevral times since 9/11. It essentially gives the powers of a judge to a SWAT commander. Pretty scary, and it makes me wonder sometimes why I haven't found a new line of work yet. Maybe because I am one of the naive who believe they can change the system from within.