Metaphysics The Pagan Christ By Tom Harpur

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by masqua, Dec 22, 2004.

1. masqua

masqua Member

Before I begin to present Tom Harpur to you, I must begin by saying that neither he nor I wish to preach any form of spirituality. This is not a book intended to promote an alternative to Christianity in any way, but rather it is a re-establishment of faith in whatever form it may apply to you.

Tom Harpur is a regular columnist in the Toronto Star on the 'Religion page' and appears in most Sunday Editions.
    He is also a Rhodes scholar, former Anglican priest and professor of Greek and the New Testament at the University of Toronto. He is a prolific author with 8 bestsellers under his belt and has hosted many radio and television programs over the years. (No...not Art Bell)

Here is a link to that newspaper...

thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's largest daily

And Tom Harpurs website is...

Tom Harpur - The Official Website

The reason I am presenting this particular book is because of the impact it has had on my life and how it changed my interpretation of what faith is all about.

If you look in the Concise Oxford Dictionary for the meaning of the word "pagan', you will find the following definition: "heathen, uninlightened or irreligious person". However, it goes on to say that the origin of the word comes from the Latin 'pagus' meaning country district...therefore, in it's original meaning it meant 'peasant' or 'country dweller'. Over the centuries, as the Church authorities forced control over a wider and wider area, the word 'pagan' began to take on a derogatory notion meaning 'anyone who did not bow to the authority of the Orthodox Church'.
    What Tom Harpur explores in this book are the beliefs of those 'pagan' peoples and their relationship to those principles held by their oppressors.

What becomes the focal point of the book is the idea that, in the pagan view, the Christ is 'within us' while in the Church view Christ is 'outside' and only to be reached through the auspices of the priesthoods...sort of 'Gatekeepers' to God, if you will.

On that particular notion, I will be most happy to provide excerps from 'The Pagan Christ' in answer to questions you may have.

I highly recommend reading this book if your faith is in any way shaken by the many instances of biblical debunking. It has re-affirmed mine and I suggest it may do the same for you.

btw...just to warn you, Tom Harpur suggests that the 'myth' of a Christ figure is much more important to Christianity than a 'historical' one.

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:bounce:

Thanks for the links. I have an unorthodox view of Jesus - seeing him more as a rebel than a savior. But I'm also interested in someone else's take on theology and history.

B.

3. AD5673

AD5673 Member

a rebel? how is he a rebel? rebels would gather, and fight (yes i know Ghandi didnt) but Jesus lived 2000 years erlier than Ghandi

4. masqua

masqua Member

I am not so certain that Christ, if he indeed did live 2000 years ago, was not seen as a re-incarnation of a mythical being.
    Reading from The Pagan Christ...

Quote...

"From the earliest period on, the Egyptian believed Osiris was of divine origin; that he suffered betrayal, death and mutilation at the hands of the powers of evil; and that after a great struggle with these powers, he rose again. Because he had conquered death, the righteous might also conquer death."
    ---------
    sound familiar?

Quote...

"What is most significant is that no matter how far back researchers go, there is no time that there did not exist a belief in the resurrection..."
    -------
    Earl Doherty, author of 'The Jesus Puzzle' states...

Quote...

"Jesus of Nazareth and the Gospel story cannot be found in Christian writings earlier than the Gospels, the first of which (Mark) was composed only in the late first century...There is no non-Christian record of Jesus before the second century."

---------

I am not suggesting that Jesus never lived...what I am suggesting is that he was given the mythical status of an Osiris or Horus by the Early Christian Fathers as a way to 'connect' him to those preceeding mythical Gods. In this manner they could promote him as a deity.
    --------
    Bear in mind what Gerald Massey said in The Natural Genesis...

Quote...

"The Christian myths were first related of Horus or Osiris, who was the embodiment of divine goodness, wisdom, truth and purity...
    This was the greatest hero that ever lived in the mind of man---not the flesh---to influence with transforming force; the only human to whom the miracles were natural because he was not human."
    -------
    Also...Acts 7:22

Quote...
    "So Moses was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians.
    -------
    As well...before your eyes glaze over with boredom...this is what St. Augustine said in the book 'City of God'

quote...

"There are many things that are true which it is not useful for the vulgar crowd to know; and certain things which although they are false it is expedient for the people to believe otherwise."
    -------

I don't believe we are a 'vulgar crowd' anymore and it is time we began to have the wool removed from our eyes...especially in regard to our spirituality. It is time that we become aware of what the soul represents within us.

St. Augustine may have been right for his time as a founding father of the Early Christan Church, but I believe we now need to understand the truth before the inaccuracies and misconceptions of the biblical teachings force us into a totally secular society.

But that's just my take on it.