Physical Science The Light Problem?

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by Icewolf, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

I have a problem with einsteins proven theories on mass increasing as velocity increases, if nothing can go faster than the speed of light (except on t.v lol) and light can't be destoyed then what happens to it when it reaches the edge of our universe. What I mean is if the Universe can't expand faster than the light the light must overtake it at some point, where does it go?

My friend said it could be reflected off the edge but beyond the edge is nothingness it can;t be reflected can it?

2. tablet

tablet Premium Member

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

My Cousin a physics Student gave me a good explanation there

Apparently if theres enough mass at the edge and if it's going fast enough the amount of gravity obtained could push back the light a bit far fetched but it's a start.

If your really interested i'll scan in a good source which shows that even with little tricks you can't go faster than light.

4. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Where is our universe expanding into? I'm curious... Perhaps expanding to create another big bang?

5. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Big crunch where the universe callapses scientists believe it's happened before, the universe collapses and has another big bang, p.s i'll add a picture of it.

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Maybe light itself shows down to nothing at the edge because of the denseness of the nothingness at the edge? Although, the explanation that light is slower than the expansion is very true. I guess the thought comes that the Universe itself is made of something. Nothing is actually something and that something is probably slowing down light itself. Now, at the edge of the universe, there I guess is NOTHING, really nothing. So, the expansion has nothing to work against. Well, that is my non-technical idea at least. :lol:

7. bluesunday

bluesunday New Member

<mindblow>
    Spacetime itself can expand "faster than the speed of light" because the expansion isn't a speed. Nothing can go through space faster than light, but spacetime isn't going through itself, it's expanding - different thing, different laws of nature apply. Relative to us, some of the distant galaxies that we can see are "receding faster than light". Actually it isn't their motion, it's the space between us expanding.
    </mindblow>
    GOD , Tablet your hurting my head wheres the ethrophy <oops>i mean the empathy *runs screaming into a wall* this is good stuff thanks:up:

8. tablet

tablet Premium Member

What's going on blue? suddenly I see you further and further! are you expanding?????????

9. amantine

amantine Premium Member

About slowing down light: mediums slow down the group velocity of light, not the actual velocity of the individual photons. The interactions between the photons and the medium require time and that's why at a large scale, light seems to move slower.

Are you proposing that the vacuum state of space is also a medium and that this medium affects the speed of light? I think there is actually a possibility that that is true. But it is impossible to make a vacuum state-free environment, so we can never test the hypothesis.

10. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Well, that is the thought in my head. Although, like you said, it can really only stay in my head.

Well, if we can get Tablet to agree, then we can test the vacuum state-free environment on his brain. :lol:

:ch: See, this is the concept for the test. :D

11. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Can't work. I wore a very tight helmet. :lol: