Physical Science The future

Discussion in 'Physical Science' started by Icewolf, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting this in but it was the first one i was in.

How close are we to accomplishing feats of start trek.
    Now stay with me i'm not toking about inter-alien integration. What I mean is look at there technology.

Transporters, we have transporter we can transport a radio wave.

Holodecks, Just look at disneyland holographics (photonics) have come a long way in recent year.

The list could go on, medical bay, engine, etc but I thought I'd leave it for the rest of the community to come up with some ideas.

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Transports... I cannot see a real way of doing it. Well, maybe physically if could happen, but how would the spirit or this driving force be transported as well? would the same person come out at the other end? Possibly Pet Cemetary revisited.

Holodecks.... I could see it happening. But, not like in star trek, where they are made of Hard Light. Well, hard light is the best I can think of, since it is from Red Dwarf. ha ha Your science teacher would love Red Dwarf! Watch it if you get a chance. Funny, but very informative as well. Well, anyways, I wonder if hardlight is actually real. hmmmmmm I may research this tomorrow after I get some sleep. ha ha

Medical Bay.. possibly, but many many years in the future. Hundreds possibly. Too many things about cells unknown.

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

My vision of transporters isn't really like star trek for one, your mind would have to be put digitally into a machine and them maybe e-mailed, to another body, thats the most like to happen, as moving molecular objects just seems a bit to far fetched.

4. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

A mind-meld... Ask me where I got it? YES, It has been done on RED DWARF!!!!! ha ha ha

5. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

lol, ok Mr Vulcan, yes I watched star treck voyager religously, It was my favourite program for a while and then I got into the x files.

(But I'm not a big conspiracy fan, lol)

6. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

i heard they tryed to teleport a frog once, and all the pieces made it but...it just wasnt quite the same...

---pineapple

7. tablet

tablet Premium Member

If teleport is possible I can see that we all will become lazy. Hungry? call pizza and they teleport it and drop it on your table. Need to send stuff oversea? teleport it. Need to bomb a building? Teleport it.

IF Teleportation is POSSIBLE, THEN time travel IS POSSIBLE.

8. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Time travel is possible according to Einsteins twin theory, As speed increases, masses increases and time decreases, we can travel forward in time but not backwards, pity that.

9. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

Actually, they have been doing a lot of research/experiments in teleportation recently. Most have involved data, and have been successful. Will we be able to reach the point where we could transport a person? Depends. My thought on it is, they need a system that will take a total blueprint of the object at the molecular/subatomic level, then be able to break it down into packets for data transfer, and at the other end, be able to reconstruct said object. What is the missing link? Why, nano-bots of course, and the field of nanotechnology has been booming, although that field scares the bejeezus out of me with all its potential power. As for whether the object that comes out being the same, well, it sure would be quite a test to see if we do in fact have a soul, and if so, and it works, is that soul linked/stored in our cells.

And as for holographic technology, force fields, etc, I am waiting for more data surrounding the study of neutrinos. There are 6 types, three regular and 3 anti i believe. There are a few research stations set up deep underground to catch, collect and analyze them. They may well be the building blocks of light, and once fully analyzed, they may yeild more interesting properties.

10. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Yes but I don't get the part of breaking down a person molecularily, I'm all for doing it with an item, but a human being?

11. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Yes, but lets say we can cut up a person into a "million little pieces" and put them back together again. Would the person be alive or dead?

---pineapple

12. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Would consciousness remain?
    (please view the consciousness thread)

13. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

I have a book about this very topic. Its called the "Pysics of Star Trek" good book. It was written by Lawrence M. Krauss.

14. Waxy cheesecake

Waxy cheesecake Premium Member

It will be a LONG time before we invent inertial dampers.

15. EyeofIz

EyeofIz New Member

Taking a cue from sci fi of the past, i would think that some of the tech portrayed is entirely wrong and that which is on the right track will evolve in chronological relation to it's importance to the military or to big corp $$.

My 2cents on some Trek things:

Teleportation- any of 3 methods might be used, either the above mentioned blueprint transport method, or a dimensional portal method. As to the transfer of one's essential spiritual being, the first method might require a greater understanding and application of the phenomenon of astral travel. The third possibility, which might be synonomous with the secon, is that of faster than light travel. In any case, if applicable, relatively distant in future.

Holodeck- Will be ready in our lifetimes, at least in it's first stages. What is modern virtual reality if not a simplified version? Might be accomplished in 3 ways, probably in the following chronological order: 1. Wearable devices that stimulate the senses externally, 2. Neural implants that stimulate brain directly to experience complex sensations, and 3. holographics combined with complex projections of energy that can be detected tactially as having "substance".

Medical scanners: I don't know exactly what they detect on trek, but I could concieve of an apparatus that combines advance forms of current imaging tech (xray, mri, cat, sonic...) with a massive database and some advanced AI diagnostic software. This is evolving already, no doubt.

Propulsion: See teleportation, above, for Trek style. Interstellar travel in general? See NASA advanced propulsion lab for current ion drive. you can navigate there from: grc.nasa.gov.

Phasers: Just a decade or two away most likely. depends largely, I think, on energy storage capabilities, which will be advanced when and if we move away from fossil fuels. Primitive energy weapons are currently in use in Iraq.

Floating insubstantial dynamic 3rd person omnipresent camera (main veiwer on command deck): Umm, yeah right!

Comm badges: Cell phones in a decade or so.

Inertial dampening: Maybe so long as our spacecraft are disks that spin it's not too far off, eh? Also, a gyroscope sure does strange things with gravity. I don't know much about this but it might already be accessible.

In general, I can see a couple of faults with the Trek version of the future, perhaps due to the fact that it is intended for mass consumption. For example:

1. The human body being physically transported around as a method of interacting with stuff. Wouldn't it be more practical to create a more disposable vehicle and link it to our perceptions as we sit comfortably on the home planet?

2. The use of language as opposed to selective direct mental communication. Maybe an implant that intercepts and decodes the signals sent to the vocal chords, diaphram and mouth.

3. The lack of understanding and control of emotional issues the characters exhibit. Emotional maturity will develop in our race as well.

4. The inorganic nature of the Trek technology in general, is I think, the greatest flaw. What we see today in robotics, nanotechnology, genetic manipulation, cloning, computer tech, artifical intelligance and botanics will allow us to "grow" intelligent machines rather than manufacture them. You can imagine the beginnings of this in the automotive industry today. Smart cars manufactured by robots using advanced materials. Extrapolate.

That' enough for this post. What do you all think?

16. Al Vereco

Al Vereco Member

I'd say is it was quick enough to not cause any 'leaks' or other damage, then the body would just continue as normal. I reckon it's kinda like asking "if your head was removed but then reattached within a matter of milliseconds, would you still be alive?" I'd say yes. But the thought of that happening might be a little off-putting...

17. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

about teleportation: I think I heard said that in order to teleport a person you would need (using today's tech) a computer the size of the earth to store the info and process it for one human. and they would have to move only info. Destroy the original copy, and rebuild the person on the other side.

18. badkitty

badkitty Member

This would be a good test indeed. However, if the soul exists and is linked to our cells it seems it cannot be linked to all of our cell. If so amputees would be missing part of their soul. It would seem if it is linked to cells it would have to be in one specific type of cell or organ - most likely the brain. A successful brain transplant might give us more insight here.

Any volunteers?

But seriously - can someone explain in "physics for dummies" terms for me how you actually get the molecules from one place to another? Or is would it be as some have suggested - breaking down on one end a rebuilding on another?

If that is the case the implications for medical advances is tremendous! If you had cancer you could basically be copied - given an entirely new body made of cancer free cells and be cured. But where would these surplus cells come from that we would use to rebuild on the other end?

OK - you guys are way over my head but would you mind enligtening this fool?

19. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

badkitty,
    I saw that technique used on one of star trek shows where they cured someone by not transporting the bad disease, or transporting a prior image of the person stored in the pattern buffer to restore that person.

20. badkitty

badkitty Member

Then I guess great minds think alike - I actually am not a Trekie (don't thrwo veggies now). I thought I was having an original thought - oh well I guess then it is not so odd is it? Do you think there will come a time when this just might be possible?