Earth Science The End of the Diamond Industry

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by JcMinJapan, Feb 14, 2005.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I was walking to work and saw the latest issue of Newsweek on the news stands. It had a front cover saying that perfect diamonds can be made scientifically now. I just had to search for it on the webtoday. Read this article..... Are we ever sure if we are buying the real thing or synthetically made? Does it really matter? Will the diamond survive as a hot commodity? Hech, any small government with enough money to invest in the equiment can overload the system if they want to.

hmmmm..... ZZZZ, what is your take on this from a geologists point of view?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6920717/site/newsweek/

The article is quite long, but well worth the read......

2. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

yeah i heard of someone who is going to get cremated and have their ashes turned into a diamond as a family legacy. Quite scary but it just shows how science is constantly getting more and more complex and intriguing, who knows what's round the corner.

3. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

ya a cubic zurconium (a synethic diamond) is different than a natural diamond, but i cant explain the difference between acultured diamond and real diamond, well here is a good link and its got good links at the bottoma as well
    http://www.somacon.com/blog/page36.php

4. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

They have been making diamonds for some time to use in industry.
    cutting tools etc.
    The hardness is simmilar, but the qualities of beauty are not as the natural ones.
    They affect light differently than the real brilliants.

5. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

actually a real diamond is harder than a cubic zirconium, a real diamond or a cultured diamond has a hardness of 10 where as a cubic zirconium has a hardness of 8.5, but i heard they can make things harder than diamonds

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Well, technicall there is not really any difference between a CULTURED Diamond and a Real one. the conditions are basically the same, the only difference is the time it takes to make them.... 1 days instead of millions of years.... hmmm...

I do not mind though, I would buy the cultured one with no problems. A cubic looks ok, but it is really a fake diamond. the cultured are real and only marketing will try to seperate the 2, but then it comes down to it, there is no difference.