ID Lounge The difference between knowledge and wisdom

Discussion in 'ID Members Lounge' started by Icewolf, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

This really belong in the philosophy forum but I wanted a poll. I really want to know which you would prefer, knowledge or wisdom. Some people argue knowledge is what we strive to find, but iin my own experience (not very much, I'm still young) I find wisdom seems to be the most important. Knowledge isn't useful If you do not understand how to use it.

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I don't think you can have wisdom without knowledge . It takes information to form insight .

You can however have knowledge and no wisdom whatsoever .

The earth is flat regardless of what the heretic scientists can prove , and it sits upon a giant turtle , wich is on top of another giant turtle , on top of yet another , and so on.....

It's turtles all the way down , so don't even bother asking what's next ( just an example )

Wisdom stems from the honest use of knowledge , knowledge on the other hand needs no wisdom . Facts are facts . It's the application of the facts that dictate how "wise" a thing can be .

3. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

Knowledge is the knowing of facts were as Wisdom is the interaction and application of Knowledge. At least that is how I see it.

4. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Wisdom is something everyone is born with. Its all common sense but thats not the point of wisdom. Wisdom is the understanding of the common knowldge.

For example, Bambi: If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Perrty basic. We alll know it. But a wise person KNOWS what this is. They understand that it is another key to happiness and they see it. They try to follow. Wisdom is something that you have to unlock inyourself.

You alrady know everything you need to be wise and lead a happy life. YOu just need to understand it and come ti know it. To live by it.

For me, I choos knowldge. I am anything but wise but I see the path I am on and know that sooner or latter I will be.

5. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I disagree mizar , I think until we acquire knowledge we cannot have wisdom . Knowledge is what will enable up to unlock wisdom as you point out .

I used to love sugar as a child , I was not wise to the harmful affects it can have on a growing body , and given my choice between a healthy meal and a reese's cup , the peantut butter and chocolate would win every time !

I think we are born with the capability to be wise , but without knowledge our choices would be more likely to sustain our immediate happiness rather than our long term well being .

Kid walks up to a candy store that is next to a fruit stand . What is going to happen a majority of the time .

(plus I'm older than you and know better) * kidding , many young people wiser than me , they just use thier knowledge better .

[Edited on 30-12-2004 by oddtodd]

6. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Wisdom to me is experience. One whose on a throne and ask you to pull its finger has wisdom. :)

Seriously, I think without knowledge there would be no wisdom but I also agreed that wisdom is only something you can unlock yourself as Mizar pointed out. Wisdom is an accumulated philosophic or scientific learning - knowledge. What we learn from our world becomes knowledge/fact than later becomes wisdom(experience?). Your wisdom.

Knowledge is the knowing of facts were as Wisdom is the interaction and application of Knowledge
    I think FC got it right. So is todd.

Mizar, they're older than us we have to take it as another wisdom!!

7. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

I don't think anyone has hit it yet.

Actually Knowledge is knowledge and you pile it up, slice it, it dice it and hand it back out. It's a commodity.

Wisdom on the other hand is knowing when and how to show LOVE for your fellow human and if you know this people will consider you a wise person.

People spend lives aquiring knowledge, but often neglect learning the art of expressing love. You can test this in your own life.

8. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Consider this:

Knowledge = book smarts

Wisdom = street smarts

now which would you pick?

---Pineapple

9. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

pineapple,

I'd call your form of wisdom, that which people refer to as common sense.

10. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Knowledge can be given Wisdom cannot

11. mrwupy

mrwupy New Member

Knowledge leads to understanding which in turn leads to wisdom. Wisdom will lead you to truth and truth will lead to unconditional love. What comes after that I know not. I'm still working on the unconditional love crap.

To answer the question the differance between knowledge and wisdom is understanding.

Love and light to each of you,

Wupy