Metaphysics The Art of Living

Discussion in 'Metaphysics' started by Mizar, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

The greatest and hardest of all arts to master. When one conquers this art one is infinately happy and at peace. So what is it? what is the art of living?

In the book "The Art of Living" Alice von Hildebrand says...

"Who is the man who loves life, who desires the day in order to enjoy good things? Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from deceitful words. Turn away from evil and do good, seek after peace and pursue it." - Psalms 33:13-15

Never in the history of mankind has the average man had so many material possessions and yet never has he been more restless and unhappy. All of us know people who have everything and enjoy nothing. Unhappiness pervades every aspect of their lives: their possessions have become burdens which grant immediate satisfaction but do not lead them an inch closer to happiness.
    We can acheive pleasures; but no pleasure - regardless of its intensity - can satisfy the longing for the human soul. Man is made for better things.
    There is something paradoxical in the fact that men yearn so deeply for happiness (which Asistotle claims to be the highest good) and yet so often choose paths which cannot possibly lead them to that goal. Man is often the artisan of his own doom his own worst enemy.
    Today, we rarely meet people whos faces radiate joy and peace. When they do happen to cross our paths, we wish to wrench from them the secret of their joy. What is the precious key that they have found but we do not possess?
    The answer is that they have discoverd the meaning of human existence, and have mastered the most important and yet the most difficult of all arts, the "Art of Living". By choosing to live rightly, they have been rewarded peace "That the world cannot give" (John 14:27)

So what is it? what is the art of living for you? HAve you become a master? Have you even started learning? Do you wish to learn?
    Lets have a disscussion.

2. Ape

Ape Premium Member

So you tell me what do u believe the art of living is? I have had a problem lately with being happy. Listen to my problem. About 2 years ago I started being the funniest kid around I would make anyone and everyone laugh. I was and still believe I am very good at making new friends. My problem is that I've grown bored of all this. I will watch the boys changing the people they are just to impress the girl. And watch the pointless-ness of everything going on around me. I am an artist, loving to draw but am losing my inthusiasm (spelling) I love making people laugh and talking to people but am getting bored of it and in the process I'm losing lots of friends, but that got me to thinking if they are so easily lost then are they even worth being friends with? I mean this school is just soo messed up. No one has honor, everyones like a weasel in my eyes. A bunch of wanna-bes. There being people there not. I've been trying to fiind people more like me but everyones a fool. I'm srry to say this but this is how I'm feeling. I know everyone has there strengths but for the most part I can't find a right friend anymore. I know I'm smarter than most of my classmates I know I have respect for people I don't even know I know I'm kind, and most importantly I know I want to find love even though I know so many problems come from that but all the people here are just so messed up and I feel like I'm totally alone on this.

My problem is I'm friends with just about everyone in the school but feel absolutly alone. why arn't I happy?

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by Awokenmind]

3. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I have a bunch of friends but there all idiots and the girls I'm friends with almost all of them but there all, how do I put this, ....... hoes! And all this chasing popularity thing all the other kids are doing is just so pointless. Living here really makes me see how messed up people are!

4. Ape

Ape Premium Member

I know there just being people but how can I be happy i mean I have 4 more years of school left how will I continue being around all this? What will ease off the frustration?

5. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Art of Living: Sing, Dance, Laugh, Kiss, Hold hands in public...

Listen to the Sunscreen song once a week...

http://www.mp3miracle.com/BazLuhrmann/Sunscreen/

(yeah, I'm making this an interactive experience)

Awoken: That High School drama happens to every single one of us...it's a time of change, one day you'll get to look back and you'll understand it...right now take the rough with the smooth, appreciate everyone else is going through the same thing and don't sweat the small stuff...

Agony Aunt Helen out...

6. Ape

Ape Premium Member

:saint2: nice song thanks auntie Helen! :grin:
    Feel alot better but will this help me at school?

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by Awokenmind]

7. Young William

Young William Premium Member

Mizar,
    I would say that convenience is the devil in all of this.....
    Self-actualization is only possible when all materialistic barriers are compromised, but then comes emotion.

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by Young William]

8. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas New Member

Hey Awokenmind, I dig what you're saying. It's very possible that you are already well on the way to finding the art of living. Who says that you will start happy then just get happier? There is a lot of confusing stuff to get through first, and the best move you can make to is to break away from the herd, who are fools for the most part. They don't even know where to begin. You do. It's not always a comfortable feeling. You are beginning to distinguish what is good for you and what is not, which may mean you have to leave most people behind. You won't miss them. True friends are rare. The more independent you are, the more you will find people are drawn to you. But their approval is not what you need. You need space and time to contemplate. Don't waste your time on trifles.
    But beware- feeling superior, or habitually judging others will lead you to overlook your own shortcomings. If you see something in the world you don't like, it's just possible that you put it there, and therefore it is your responsibility to adjust your perspective. Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

9. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

Look. Can you see it?
    Let us start with an analogy.
    Life is like a rock sitting by a road. On the outside it is worth nothing, it is nothing, it has nothing, and yet it exists. Yet if you look one layer down you see more. In fact this rock is less than nothing. All it seems to do is create more nothingness. Yet that one rock holds the key to the universe. That one meaningless rock (yes, it is indeed meaningless) is living with the power to overcome meaninglessness and arise like a phoenix and BE something. Yet it stands alone and without power.
    Life is like that. If you do not try to master the game, the game is without purpose. However, you can change the game, give it meaning, and if you don't you just leave the world in poverty.

Pride goeth before a fall.
    The higher you are, the harder you fall. (Except in the case of maximum velocity LOL)
    I am indeed a fool. We all are. But if you can't accept that and move on, if you can't accept that NO ONE will EVER be anything else (including yourself) then you are the King of Fools. For wisdom comes from knowing that you are a fool.

One more thing: if indeed all of the school is like that, then you are unlucky to say the least. My school has plenty of those.... girls..... but there are some that have beautiful hearts. So it is with my church as well. But maybe that is just because I am unbearably lucky....

Good luck with the game...

10. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

"Never in the history of mankind has the average man had so many material possessions and yet never has he been more restless and unhappy. All of us know people who have everything and enjoy nothing. Unhappiness pervades every aspect of their lives: their possessions have become burdens which grant immediate satisfaction but do not lead them an inch closer to happiness."

Yes! I totally agree with this point. Possessions can not make you happy. The more you try to hold onto the materials around you, the less your spiritual side is endowed. You must find a balance and give away or sell those things you no longer use.

"There is something paradoxical in the fact that men yearn so deeply for happiness (which Asistotle claims to be the highest good) and yet so often choose paths which cannot possibly lead them to that goal. Man is often the artisan of his own doom his own worst enemy."

You must guard your thoughts, if you want to guard your life. There was a study not long ago by the labor dept. that found it was decisions made years, months, and weeks before an accident that was the cause of injury or loss.

"Today, we rarely meet people whos faces radiate joy and peace. When they do happen to cross our paths, we wish to wrench from them the secret of their joy. What is the precious key that they have found but we do not possess?"

I think it's like sprinters born w/ a higher amount of fast-twitch muscles(or as Popeye would say: muscules). Some people like me were born with a higher amount of mind levelers and pain relievers built into the system so I and people like me are happy most always, but you can try to foster the same by running, or other activities that build endurance.

I find people who want to be unhappy can be very hostile to happy people who radiate peace and contentment. I don't take it to heart, knowing it is not I who be the source of their unhappy wallowings.

There is a cure you know.

Be thankful for every thing you do have and if all is taken away, be thankful someone else is now enjoying it, even if you can't.

It will save you alot of suffering.

11. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

Interesting, bodebliss, very interesting. I like that quote from (is it Plato? or maybe Socrates?) I agree with your point about physical posessions. Posessions tend to posess the posessor.

12. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Bode, that is very profound and very true. I enjoyed reading that, thanks!