Sociology The American Race

Discussion in 'Sociology' started by Young William, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Young William

Young William Premium Member

The melting pot may eventually hold true to form in the U.S.
    Progressive efforts have served to socially unite those who would have folded.
    Every passing day seems to bring a new face to the persistence of time.
    Assimilative adaptations have laid down a new foundation.
    Although division is still very prominent, I wonder......
    What type of American will the ensuing centuries produce?
    What will be "common"
    I believe that the future American will eventually resemble every struggle that was brought to bare.

Any thoughts?

2. Young William

Remember, this is an opinionated question, any input would be greatly appreciated.

3. Rancor

Rancor New Member

When you say, "what will be common" you are referring to common what?
    When you say that it "will eventually resemble every struggle that was brought to bar", in what way?everyway?

If you explain some more ill be glad to add my opinion.

4. 1Reshin2

1Reshin2 Member

Well simmply put, Noone could be absolutely sure of that answer, What race are those who are mixed? or like me look like one race, but act like another. Noone can ever know the answer unless you want to seek it for the rest of youre life. Then that would just be out of wanting to know it only

5. Young William

All right, ......When compared to rest of the World, will the future American have a distinct look?

6. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

Why are Americans so obseesed with being American.
    Why can we just all be Terrians or earthies or something.
    Every child born is an evolution of the human speacies.

good point rancor, is not common only relivant to ones own perception of time, environment and experience?

I can imagion though that the gene pool could produce a "tyipical"american but with the ease of cross gloabal travel these days I doubt it.

7. Rancor

Rancor New Member

I think the present America will not last that long, because of what it has become. So I think in the future there will be no America, unless it changes now.

8. Young William

I wasn't trying to introduce any anger, I was just curious to read the feedback. My Air Force tour afforded me the oppurtunity to travel quite extensively, and drawing from those experiences, I realized how different the U.S. is.
    I appreciate your input, however, I challenge you to support your criticism, possibly with any comparable relation to the unique layout that represents every "state" contained within the U.S.
    I urge you to set political hinderances aside, and re-evaluate my original post.
    I assume that most of the sites' participants are well read, and obviously understand that the U.S. borders are being flooded, yet again. Ignorance plays are very large part in this "recurring capitalistic maintenance endeavor."..................
    I can personally attest to to fact Nationalism is a culturally inborn emotion. I witnessed the tranquility of the Norweigians, the worry of the Turkish and Northern Iraqi people, and the guise of the Saudis.
    I grew up five short minutes from the beautiiful Nation of Canada, and found their own sense of identity to be very unique and proud.......

The question that I'm asking, is... will the inter-breeding of different races eventually produce a new and "multi-faceted" appearance?

9. Rancor

Rancor New Member

Again, when you say " 'multi-faceted' appearance" you are referring to what? The Country as a whole?

Well if so, then I have no idea, as Reshin said, it is impossible to know. We are already one nation of mixed races; does this make us one race?
    If so, then mixing with another "race" or "races" would have no major effect in our future development, because in a way it would just be more of the same race, so it would not be really mixing.

What do you define as a race YoungWillian?
    Our nation’s borders have always been flooded.

10. Young William

Rancor,
    Good response,
    While exercisising today, I watched the newly appointed Sec. of State Rice speak before yet another "committee." I've read alot about her, as she's yet another first, in many aspects.
    I find that I have alot in common with her, at least in terms of interests. She speaks many different languages, but they are the languages of the multi-faceted American culture. Basically, even with her strongest critics, she recieves at least some level of respect.
    I view her as Our Sec. of State, some view her as a" black woman",............. but ragardless, there's nobody, short of the President, that can strip her of her achieved status.
    Regardless, when the Sun finally sets, she will be remembered as a an American, not a "black woman."
    Perhaps this post is too contraversial, let's move on to something else.

11. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I understand what you are saying to a point and degree, but America will not dissolve, we have to much pride. But those who demoralize America, MAY not have been outside or inside many other countries. I used to think like some others have until my tour as a Marine. While I was in I had been to over 60 countries and seen many different facets of society, cultural, economic, and political apsirations of these countries. It makes me proud to be an American, to be part of a country that has so much and has freedom of choice. Until you have seen other places, you can NOT appreicate what you have in the US. Same goes for other countries that have toured out beyond their borders and been to places, some we wish not to return until its in a much better state than it is now or was then. Some we would love to visit again and again, but not to live.

Just my 2 cents.

12. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

This is about the Indy 500, right?

13. Young William

Ha, ...................way to lighten the mood!

14. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I too am well traveled. Not only in the military when I was in, but even more extensively outside of the military as well. The freedoms that are enjoyed in America are also enjoyed in almost all Industrialized Nations. America is a great melting pot of people that makes it easy for people to blend in and fit in a bit better. I am caucasian and mixed with American Indian, I am also currently living in Japan as well. Now, fitting-in in Japan is quite a challenge especially when we (Caucasian, Black, Spanish, etc) look so much different from the general populace. So, in this sense, America is a much easier society to find that sense of belonging.

One thing that I have noticed over the numerous places that I have lived is that once you live in a place, then you will notice that most places are the same. Remember, I am talking about industrialized countries. I have lived in Japan for 7 years, I feel no different from when I lived in America or any other country that I have lived in. Most people are basically the same at heart and other than a few minor living quarters and language difference, life is about the same. Once you start to live in a place and gather friends, your routine and life settle in like any other place.

I am an American, but I do not consider myself an AMERICAN. I like America, but I also have fallen in love with almost any place that I have lived. Please do not take it that I feel that I AM NOT AMERICAN, as that is not correct either. I appreciate everything that the American Society, educational system, etc have taught me in this world. I really wish that there was a World Citizenship. I guess that I have not vacationed to other countries, but have "LIVED" in many different countries and have gotten to meet and get to know people in-depth and not just saw them or talked by in passing. There is a huge difference in vacationing and living. I would much rather live in every country for a year than to just visit for a week.

I think as we become more INTERNATIONALIZED in this world, the steriotypical AMERICAN look will disappear. Inevitably, the world will become more and more mixed whether they like it or not. I would guess that in a 1000 or 2000 years that traveling from Japan to NY will take a matter of minutes. The world will be interconnected and people thus will be interconnected as well, there will not be too many ways to distinguish people apart. English is basically the international language right now and most non-English speaking countries are trying to push the English out to its population even more. English I do think will become the international language for the world and it is sad to say, but I do feel that in a few thousand years, that it will be possibly the only language.

Just some thoughts....

15. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

By the time a few hundred years pass there will be no humans as you know them left. The augmentation has already begun. Vaccines being the most obvious form. Visit my site. We are about to change in millions of ways that have nothing to do with evolution. Leaving humans borg like without the outward borg mechanics, and living forever on a much changed world.

16. Young William

"I am an American, but I do not consider myself an AMERICAN. I like America, but I also have fallen in love with almost any place that I have lived. Please do not take it that I feel that I AM NOT AMERICAN, as that is not correct either."

I couldn't have put in any better.
    See, the problem that I'm having in trying to rationalize the changing face of the American, is that primarily, they're many who wake up everyday searching for the "American dream."
    I figure that many of these aspirational aims are as misguided as the ship that "crashed" into Plymouth Rock.
    Freedom is not a unique American creation, as you've pointed out, however, you also cite you're experience under the Red sun. It seems that the social pressures in Japan, for instance, are far greater than anything one would "face" in America.
    All right, let's take a typical American North-eastern city, for example, the neighborhoods in any place like Boston, Buffalo, Cleveland, or Baltimore, are sectionalized by race, culture, income, "aspiration," and religion, of course!!!!
    While moving around the U.S. with the Air Force, I was suprised to see that "sectionalization" was quite different, especially in the newly rekindled South.
    Raliegh, Atlanta, and and Tampa, are great examples of yet another social migration. I don't want to become too long-winded, but the notion of streamlining seems to be the goal..........and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but IDENTITY, was what I was trying to argue......

[Edited on 2-19-2005 by Young William]

17. Mark

Mark ♤♡◇♧ Staff Member

To be American must be a dynamic experience.

Influence of American culture has come from many directions,..

British
    German
    Polish
    Scottish
    Irish

yes, and on and on.

Right now the biggest American influence will come from the Hispanic population. We will feel it and integrate it in a few short years.

Then it will be from some other direction later in the future.

I would expect that the process will be ever changing forever, as spices and seasonings are added to the stew, in an ever changing smörgåsbord of a perpetual population buffet.

18. Young William

Yes, and I'll add from personal experience, that the Hispanic population is very determined, hard-working, and well, then there's the issue of patriotism, ....hmmmm.....

19. overrocked

overrocked Premium Member

America is being ruined by this present cycle of govt. Turning it into a country where only the rich can play, and the corp. slaves must work. You can't make money here, you can only spend it. Rich people live in the world. Poor people live in countries.

If it sounds like I'm disenchanted- it is only because I care enough to dissent.

And no, I am not rich nor poor- but content with what I have- My view of the disparaging differences in the classes of America has made me angry. How can we improve if we don't question 'authority'

Good luck to all of the people who think 'ownership society' applies to them:cheers: