Dismiss Notice
Attention: All Treasure Hunters.
Our Website Has Changed.

CLICK HERE for the Forrest Fenn Thrill Of the Chase Discussion Group.

Earth Science The 2002 Denali Earthquake and Yellowstone

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Zsandmann, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I wrote this abstract for my Yellowstone Seminar Class, it is provided for reading and NOT for use by anyone else. I absolutely distain plagerism, please do not reproduce any parts of my paper without my express permission.

REFERENCES:

Husen, S., Taylor, R., Smith, R.B., and Healser, H. 2004: Changes in geyser eruption behavior and remotely triggered seismicity in Yellowstone National Park produced by the 2002 M 7.9 Denali fault earthquake, Alaska. Geology: Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 537–540.

Sever, M. 2003: Yellowstone geysers heat up. Geotimes: October 2003, pp. 32-33.

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Great paper! I actually learned tons!

3. justme1640

justme1640 Member

I know I am focusing on the wrong thing - but be patient as I am fighting a migraine and brain is not functioning at it's best. But I don't understand what an earthquake swarm is or how it travels that far. Once I understand that I'm sure I will understand it all better.

thanks
    jm

4. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Ok so the earthquake swarm didnt travel. Heres what happened,

Earthquake in alaska sent surface waves out. These travel just below the surface of the earth and can go long distances.

THe surface waves went 3100 km to Yellowstone, it took 6 hours. The surface waves vibrated the hydrothermal features which sent water into the faults in Yellowstone.

The water moving along the faults triggered smaller 2.0 magnitude earthquake swarms in the park.

These earthquake swarms changed the eruption cycles of the hydrothermal features.

An earthquake swarm is a generic term for multiple earthquakes that happen at the same time at the same place.

I hope this helps, now reread the article and see if you understand.

5. justme1640

justme1640 Member

Thank you -- I get it now. Aren't you glad I wasn't at that seminar ;)

That is amazing - I try to watch the earthquake page that the USGS puts out but I never realized that it could have an effect so far away.

thanks again.

jm

6. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Fantastic paper, and a very interesting read.

Yellowstone has always been a fascination for me. I first visited in 1974, and have been 2 times since. (It was an easier trip when I was living in Colorado - I now live in Pennsylvania).

After reading your paper, I couldn't help but wonder how this has affected the Yellowstone caldera's rate of rise. I caught some of a documentary on "supervolcanoes" that seemed to focus alot on Yellowstone. I believe one geologist reported a 700 mm+ rise over the last 30 years.

Doc

7. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

It is definetly rising. There are two spots under the big lake that are believed to be plume bulges. This particular event probably didnt affect the caldera itself very much because the waves were surface waves confined to the near subsurface whereas the magma body is probably between 10-14 km deep. I believe my source paper stated the maximum depth for the surface wave interaction was 5 km.

A t some point in the future the Yellowstone supervolcano will rise again, but I don't think it will be soon. Great question though.