Puzzles & Games Telephone poles-Solved

Discussion in 'Puzzles & Games' started by pineappleupsidedown, Oct 3, 2004.

1. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I don't know how hard it will be for all of you here at ID to solve this one, but the forum i got this from was struggling with it.

Imagine two telephone poles. The two poles are both 25 feet high and the cable is 18 feet long. The lowest point the cable ever gets (due to slack) is 16 feet from the ground.

How far apart are the two poles?

---pineapple

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by pineappleupsidedown]

2. craiz

craiz Member

my estimate is 9 feet apart. Theory being that there is 9 feet from the top of the pole to the bottom of the lowest point in the cable, and if the cable was stretched taught the poles would be 18 feet apart. My reasoning would be that for every foot you moved the poles closer to each other, the cable would lower a foot.

Do you actually know the answer to this? :p

I really hope you do :(

3. pineappleupsidedown

Yes, i know the answer. 9 feet is not correct.

---pineapple

4. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

is it 2 feet? that doesn't seem right but it's the only thing i can think of it would be easier, if it was half a circle cause then i could find the diameter lol

5. craiz

craiz Member

ok, the poles are fully together, as half the cable length is 9 feet and there is 9 feet from the bottom of the cable to the top of the pole.

6. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

OOOOoooo , I used to be good at these . It is a sine wave problem I think , and PI is involved . Going to get out the pencil and paper right now .... Exercize those brain muscles !!!

7. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

11.45 feet ?

8. pineappleupsidedown

craiz, you got it right. Good job. Isnt it funny how when you guessed 9 feet before it seemed to make sense until you found the actual answer? Good job :)

---pineapple

9. craiz

craiz Member

yes and I only wasted about 4 hours researching sin, cos and tan rules along with derivatives and advanced geometry before common sense prevailed :p

10. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

hahahaha , I was doing the same thing but had chores to do ... I had a little drawing with all the measurements and a big sine wave intersecting the whole thing ..... Damn trick questions...