Technology Teddy Bear - The Robot!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tablet, Mar 6, 2005.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

Well, you know what they say. Teddy bear are cute and sexy but not so much in real life. Seeing one you better act quick before it run after you. Worry not if you have a cloak suit.

What if we turn this Teddy Bear into a "robot". One that will watches over your children? One that look after.

Psychologically I don't know how this will affect the children. Normally human should look after babies. What will happen if this technology gets better? Like the ability to predict future event (you know what I mean if you visited bodebliss's thread on machine that predict future). It's like having your friendly neighbor - the Spiderman, in your room that will watches the children and will beep (just like spiderman alert) to notify you something is going to happen to the child. ;)

When robots are able to take care of a child on its own, I fear that parents will become lazy. Just let the robot take care of the kids while we go on vocation because we can be in two places at once!

How do you think this techonology can be put to good use? and what's the negative you can think of?

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

I don't like the robot-babysitter idea. children need to be cuddled and held, not watched and monitored. If people get this technology they will overuse it, there is already problems with parents leaving kids in cars while shopping in the summer and not taking care of them. They will entrust their child to something that can break or malfunction and children will grow up without parents in their lives and can't be a little mishivious and secretive, something i think all children need to be.

---Pineapple

3. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I can see the tech being abused and it will, but in some aspect i see good things with it, scaling it down a little. For instance, I would like the teddy to be in the room while I am in another part of the house, persay, in the kitchen cooking and I can flip the channel to view what my child is doing in the other room. For those who have baby sat or kids of their own, nothing is more frightening or worriesome when the child all of a sudden goes quiet.

I would NOT use the toy to take care of my child, NO WAY. But of course tech is getting better and if I want to tlak to my child I rather do it via vidphone, the net if I am away on business or stuck at work late.

I know what you are going to say, well, thats what CCTV is for, well kids are not stupid, if you get them a teddy but dont tell them about the camera...well then you can surprise them when they are doing wrong. Anyhow I see some good things with it and surely NO WAY will it take care of my child, thats my duty.