News @ ID Taser Sales To Public Worry Officers

Discussion in 'News @ ID' started by Icewolf, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Would this stop death by guns, if we used non deadly force to incapacitate our attackers or would it give muggers a huge advantage. Personnaly I can't decide.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/03/05/Worldandnation/Taser_sales_to_public.shtml

2. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Tasers are a good way to contain violent suspects that are not brandishing weapons IMO . Certainly better than a warning shot to the head !

I think people seem to forget that when you are commiting a crime or endangering the lives of those around you , that your rights have been forfieted ,

There are of course many examples of police filling a suspect full of bullets and the fact that authority is misused in certain cases , but only one taser death reported that I am aware of ....

You raise a good point though as far as criminals using this type of device . What if I wasn't heck bent on being violent and wanted to just knock you out and take your valubles ?

A kinder gentler mugger ?

This makes me think of Nobel , the father of dynamite and that he thought if everyone was equally armed then it would reduce wars . Nice sentiment , but someone will always reinvent a better killing tool once they all have all the same ingredients .

I personally took a 100,000 volt zapper and tried it on myself and it hurt like a sunovagun ! I then chased a roomate out of the house with it just for fun ! Definitely would have scared off a mugger if it was jabbed into his neck , but I tried it on my fleshy backside . It was like sitting on a nail (which I have done mistakenly)

Not the same as a taser , but if everyone has the same weapons , then the element of surprise is anyones only chance at making use of them .

Tasers are not AS lethal as guns , but can cause heart failur for sensitive folks , but if these "sensitive folks" are trying to rob you , then you are defending yourself with a better possibility for them to survive and face punishment than the above mentioned warning shot to the head .

I would get one of these before I bought a gun for sure .

3. Young William

Young William Premium Member

It depends on when and where they're utilized. Cardiac arrest is a concern being blown up by the media, however, these tools will improve with time and hopefully become commonplace in law enforcement.

4. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

I'd be happy having the police armed with them, but certainly not the public,

I thought i would never bring this up but over here i Scotland it's unheard of for anyone to own a gun and, guess what, there's hardly any gun death over here, what a coincedence. So as i see it if we don't let the public have lethal weapons then there's less chance of anything lethal happening.