Archaeology T-rex Tissue Found: Jurrasic Park Anyone?

Discussion in 'Archaeology' started by JcMinJapan, Mar 24, 2005.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Wow, this is really neat that they were able to find this. It looks like they will be testing to see if it contains DNA, but by the sounds of it, I would not be suprised!

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:?:

How do you still have soft tissue after 70 million years? Wouldn't the cells have broken down?

Ok brainiacs - how is this possible?

B.

3. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

Mineralization is a tricky thing Bleys, if something is buried under the precise conditions for mumification those proteins will be preserved. IF, big if, they find DNA though, dont expect baby TRex's running around, it will be far to decayed to be useful for cloning. However, even segments of DNA could tell us loads about them. Imagine if someone got ahold of one of your chromosomes. They could tell your hair color, skin tone, genetic ailments, all kinds of things. I will follow this closely I know.

4. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:up:

Thanks Z - needed a little 101 assistance there.

B.

5. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Very COOL! I would liek to hear more about this when the info comes available. Like I have said before, history is being rewritten once again.

6. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Similar Story

But this is from the NC State Scientists report on the find. Sometimes the media leaves out the info.

7. Nygdan

Nygdan Member

Fossilized Bio-Molecules, Dino-blood and T. rex tissues resources.

Dr. Schweitzer announced that she was able to recover actual remains of soft tissue from fossilized Tyrannosaur bone marrow cavities. The original announcement, or at least the first that I heard, was at the 2004 Annual Meeting of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontolgy. Previously, she had also been able to recover dinosaur blood proteins from fossilized bone. Please take note, she did not find blood cells or tissues in these fossils as was erroneously reported in anti-evolutionary circles. Other researchers have been able to find various other bio-molecules, mostly proteins, in fossilized bones for a short time now.

Here I will present a few eclectic resources related to these exciting topics.

Here is the citation for the Schweizter soft-tissue article. If Someone has acess to the Science archives perhaps they can post it.

Schweitzer M. H., Wittmeyer J. L., Horner J. R. & Toporski J. K. et al. Science,307. 1952 - 1955 (2005).

Here is a Nature news article about the Schweizter Soft-Tissue discovery
    Flexible fossil shows tyrannosaur's softer side

Here is a Talk Origins FAQ on Dino-blood and the Young Earth.
    Here is a FAQ written by the same authoer on the pressence of a bone protein in fossil samples.
    4.gif 5.gif

An article on Heme compounds in dinosaur trabecular bone.

An casual interview from Nature with Dr. Schweitzer.

Here is an older article on bone proteins from fossils, called The survival of organic matter in bone: a review

Here is an article that asks the question, How reliable are immunological tools for the detection of ancient proteins in fossil bones?

Here is an article about much younger bones and different organic material; Immunospecificity of albumin detected in 1.6 million-year-old fossils from Venta Micena in Orce, Granada, Spain

Here are some other references that are relevant.

Collins, M.J., Child, A.M., van Duin, A.T.C. & Vermeer, C. 1998 "Ancient osteocalcin; the most stable bone protein?" Ancient Biomolecules. 2: 223-238.

Collins, M. J., et al 1999 Is osteocalcin stabilised in ancience bones by absporption to bioapatite?" Ancient Biomolecules 2(2): 223-233.

Collins, M.J., Gernaey, A.M., Nielsen-Marsh, C.M., Vermeer, C., Westbroek, P. 2000 "Osteocalcin in fossil bones: evidence of very slow rates of decomposition from laboratory studies." Geology, 28: 1139 - 1142.

Collins, M. J., C. Nielseen-Marsh, J. Hiller, C. I. Smith and J. P. Roberts 2002 " The Survival of Organic Matter in Bone: A Review" Archeaometry 44, 3: 383-394

Polinar, G. O., Poinar, H. N., and Cano, R. J. 1994 DNA from Amber Inclusions, in B. Herrman and S. Hummmel (ed.s), Ancient DNA. Recovery and Analysis of Genetic Material from Paleontological, Archaeological, Museum, Medical and Forensic Specimens, New York: Springer-Verlag, pp92-103.
    Schweitzer, M.H., Johnson, C., Zocco, T.G., Horner, J.H., Starkey, J.R., 1997C Preservation of biomolecules in cancellous bone of Tyrannosaurus rex, Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, Volume 17, No. 2, June 19. 349-359

Schweitzer, Mary Higby, John R. Horner 1999 Intrasvascular microstructures in trabecular bone tissues of Tyrannosaurus rex, Annales de Paléontologie Volume 85, Issue 3, July-September , pg.179-192.