ID Lounge Symphony

Discussion in 'ID Members Lounge' started by Mizar, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

I have been listening to alot of symphonys lately, full symphonys that is. It is alot different than my normal classical menue of ensambles and suites. I really am enjoying it though. I would like to know what is your favorite symphony either thourloghy or just one movement?

Mine are - Dvorak- symphony number 9 or "New World Symphony"
    And of course he is in here....
    Beethoven Symphony number 6 " Pastoral"

2. Off_the_Street

Off_the_Street New Member

That'd be a tough question to answer, buceaus I'm not a fan of sypmphonies per se. I guess If I were dragged kicking and screaming to make a decision, I would pick Brahms #1, but of course the Pastorale is great, too.

The reason I have problems with Dvorak's "New World" is because his theme from NW is a simplified guitar piece in Alfred's Basic Guitar Method; I have used that book for over 20 years and I simply am overdosed on a bazillion nine-year-olds earnestly plunking it out on guitar.

I kind of like more "exotic" works; to me this means Russians. I like the old guys, including Rimsky-Korsakov, Moussorgsky, and Borodin; and the 20th century guys including Prokofiev and Shostakovitch. I know everyone sneers at Shostakovitch, because he cranked out a thousand of those huge martial thimgamajiggers glorifying the invincible Red Army, but I think his stuff is stirring.

What I really like is operas, including the music for them. Just about anything by Verdi is fun, as is Mozart's Magic Flute. And I especially like Wagner, but we're tlking about hitting a Ring-Cycle once a year at the most. I mean, small doses for that stuff is best...

Now that's classical music. Understand that what I listen to and play are two different things.

What I play is bluegrass.

3. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

yes opera is verry good. i really like when its seperated half and half it has long orcherstra "solos" then comes in with the vocal. alot of verdi's work has that and its good. im really just geting intrested in opera. it was just that as a kid we wer kinda influnced by our peers that opera was uh.... dumb, boring and other childish things. But now that i am free to explore i find it amazing. the ammount of talent it takes to sing opera is amazing and deserves reconigition in itself.
    by far one of the best opera arias in mozarts queen of the night aria.
    but any way back to symphonies. mabye we should start a whole opera thread.

4. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Anything by Mozart or Wagner - both inspire and relax.:hail:

And we shouldn't forget the "future" greats - Williams and Horner, beautiful, moving and powerful music. Think about it, movies are the opera of today.

Guilty pleasure - Danny Elfman's scores.

edit: Just started listening to Vangellis again after a 10 year hiatus. A definite must for anyone's collection.

B.

[Edited on 5-14-2005 by Bleys]

5. xu

xu Premium Member

Shostakovich and Rachmaninoff are not bad either.

6. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

Favorite symphony, hands-down:
    Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 on D Minor

I love the way the opening chords just sneak up on you, and then "BANG!". There's something that stirs inside me every time I listen to it. Like with a good book, listening to part of it just makes me want to listen to more, and it keeps me on the edge of my seat for the entire 75 minutes.

Of course, there's no such thing as a "bad" Beethoven symphony - comparing his symphonies is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini - they're all fantastic!

I enjoy Shostakovich, but he tends to bore me through certain parts - or maybe that's just due to the contrast between those parts and the incredible energy other parts have.

Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique is also at the top.

As far as operas, I have always loved Puccini's music - his arias are unbeatable in my book.

Finally, I listen to Mozart's Requiem as much as Beethoven's Ninth. The passion, the emotion! Maybe I just have a thing for D minor.

7. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

If your going for heavy russian music screw Shostakovich. Go with mourgousky.

And I can't aggre more Fission. I love puchini operas. My all time favorite opera is Turandot.