Chit Chat Sushi

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drlau, Feb 7, 2005.

1. drlau

drlau Premium Member

Sushi. A word that seems to draw reactions of either delight or disgust. I have found that the majority of those that have reacted negatively, either a) have never tried sushi; or, b) think that sushi means raw fish (therefore, "ewwww!").

I have learned a great deal about sushi over the last few years, due mainly to my interaction with colleages in my company's Japan office. As I learned more and tried more, I found a great enjoyment for sushi.

So, is sushi raw fish? No. Sushi is a dish containing rice which has been prepared with sushi vinegar. Although there are many types of sushi that feature raw seafood (called sashimi) as one of the ingredients, there are many that do not. In fact, one of my favorites, "Golden Spider Roll" is made with breaded, deep-fried softshell crab. There are vegetarian rolls, too.

Some of my favorites:

Rolls
    Spicy Tuna Roll - Chili paste, Japanese mayo, tobiko (flying fish roe), negi (green onion), maguro (tuna), and tenkasu (crunchy tempura batter)
    Golden Spider Roll - Tempura-fried softshell crab, cucumber, avocado, and scallions.
    Dragon Roll - Eel, crab, avocado, cucumber, tobiko.

Sashimi
    Maguro (tuna)
    Toro (fatty tuna)
    Sake (salmon)

There are many resources out there on the internet that do a pretty good job of explaining sushi. I have collected a few links that you may want to more fully explore.

A great place to start is Sushi Links. They have links to some of the best sources of sushi infomation.

A good (and somewhat humorous) treatise on sushi ettiquette can be found at Sushi Seattle.

From Mark Hutchenreuther's Rolling Your Own Sushi:
    The Japan Guide has some brief information on Sushi, Sashimi, and Wasabi (Japanese horseradish).

The next time you have a chance to try sushi, why not give it a try? You might find that you actually like it!

--Doc

• Winner! Winner! x 1
  2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I love Sushi! I can eat almost any type of it, the only one I am not too thrilled about is UNI or Sea Urchin. But, the rest I have no problems with. There are a few sushi that are cooked, but most likely most are Raw. I also had my doubts prior to moving to Japan about eating raw fish. A friends said that I should try Tuna and Shrimp. The shrimp is usually boiled, unless it is the AmaEbi (Sweet Shrimp). I myself do not like a fishy taste in my seafood, so I am fairly picky about my seafood. Well, I tried it and there is not a fishy taste at all! If someone wants to try it, I would suggest the same, go for the Tuna, Salmon, and Shrimp first, then expand out. I find that I like the White Fish and good sushi never has a fishy taste at all.

Now, yes unagi (eel) is server grilled and there is some Salmon and Tuna that is slightly grilled on the top, but the inside is still raw, but tastes fantastic.

For rolls, I would suggest Negi Toro maki (Green Onion and Fatty Tuna). The Toro (Fatty Tuna) is the top in tuna and has tons of flvors. Definately the best, but can get expensive. Tuna comes in a few different degrees of quality. I will put them in order of lowest to highest quality. Maguro (Tuna), Toro (Fatty Tuna), Dai Toro (Better quality), and O Toro (Best quality). Toro is definately worth the few extra dollars. :D

The Golden Dragon Spider rolls and the other ones mentioned above are not really served in Japan. They are mostly an American Version of the rolls in Japan. Most standard sushi shops in Japan will not be able to serve them, but there are a few that specialize in American Style of Sushi and some others may be able to make on request, but mostly you will get things like cucumber rolls, tuna rolls, and the like. The are usually just sushirice with the ingradients in the middle with wasabi all rolled onto dried seaweed.

Most of my foreign friends are afraid to try sushi when they come to visit, but once they try it, almost all really enjoy it. But, they key to first trying sushi is to go to a good place. They may be a bit more expensive than the cheap places, but the quality is much better. Trust me, if I had tried sushi and it had a fishy taste, I would not have tried it again. Sushi should actually be refreshing with alot of taste. If not, then you probably went to a sub-par location.

3. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:shk: I haven't done sushi and sashimi for a very long time. (nasty little allergic reaction to shellfish that required a trip to the hospital) I sure do miss it though.

Although not Japanese the only thing I treat myself to now is raw oysters chased with a Killian's Red once a year on my birthday.

B.

4. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Are Oysters Shellfish??? :ch:

Well, stick with the tuna and salmon and white fish.. no allergic reactions. Just stay away from the shellfish.... like... ummm.. uhh. Oysters??? :p

5. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I know, I know...I'm playing with fire, but I do take precautions. It's only once a year, I bring my anti-histamines and there is a seafood place near us that flies in their seafood daily. A small risk for a wonderful treat.

But since the subject of taking risks has been brought up - have you ever partaken of the dreaded blowfish JC?

B.

6. drlau

drlau Premium Member

There are a couple of places near me that I frequent, but only one of them seems to get Toro (Dai Toro, specifically) on any regular basis. And boy do I pay for it! The owner always calls a few days before he gets it to let me know it's coming - my company has a really good relationship with his restaurant, and he gives us a small discount. Still expensive, but a treat WELL worth it.

I swear, if I could afford to, I would have sushi every day!:D

JcM, if I ever get over to our Japan office, I'll have to look you up for a trip to your favorite sushi bar.

You also mentioned that many of the ones I listed are Americanized. You are right - they are fairly common in the states. When I go to the place that has Toro, I usually get a Bento Box with sashimi and whatever rolls the sushi chef recommends for that day. He has never steered me wrong.

I think I'll go there for lunch today. All this sushi talk has made me very hungry!

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

OMG I love seafood, sushi, sashimi. Oh I miss Japan so much. I am hoping to go back in the next yr or so. I loved it there. Hoping to get my wife on the sushi & sashimi kick before we go so she cant taste true japanese style gourmet food. Good post and thanks for the link.

8. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

MMMMMmmmmmm I drooling over my keyboard.
    Wasabi blowbacks, OOOhhh yeah!!!
    Got a book over how to make it myself and I do occasionaly, it's not that difficult.
    Fresh, healthy, yummy what more do you want?

9. badkitty

badkitty Member

Unagi! My fave - give me sushi any day, and yes the raw fish kind. I love, love, love it. I couldn literally live on sushi alone - there are so many different varieties to choose from. I too love the rolls, but sashimi is my fave - don't like too much rice.