Astronomy Strange mini-solar systems revealed

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by tablet, Feb 14, 2005.

1. tablet

tablet Premium Member

This is strange! a MINI-SOLAR SYSTEM?

Story

I've been reading it just now.

2. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Great stuff! From the article:

B.

3. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

does jupiter emit any light?

4. Tebbo

Tebbo Member

Hmm interesting, could this not be a solar system, but the beginnight of one? I mean there are no definite planets, but they have evidence of creation. It's pretty feasable I think, i mean anything in space could be of any size and shape. In space there are no rules. Hell, a star 5 inches wide could be formed, we just don't know yet.

5. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

I don't believe that Jupiter emits any light - I did find this:

Jupiter is actually much too "light" to ignite hydrogen fusion like a star. Jupiter has only about 1/1,000th of Sol's mass, but it would have become a star if it was perhaps only 75 times more massive than it is. However, Jupiter is even too small to meet one of today's definition of a substellar brown dwarf because it can't even fuse deuterium (hydrogen nuclei composed one neutron as well as one proton) like young brown dwarfs that have accumulated at least 13 times the mass of Jupiter can.

Jupiter radiates more energy into space than it receives from the Sun. Traditionally, this heat was thought to be produced from the slow gravitational compression of the planet so that its core may be as hot as 20,000 °C (or F). This great interior heat would be generating convective movements deep within the planet that may also be leading to the motions of the clouds in its atmosphere. According to another interesting hypothesis, however, Jupiter (and possibly all of the planets and many of their larger moons) may formed around a rocky core with an inner core of fully crystallized nickel silicide around an inner sub-shell of nuclear decay and fission products surrounding a sub-core of uranium and plutonium. Acting like a natural, fast-breeder nuclear fission reactor, the sub-core generates heat that propels charged particles to ultimately produce the planet's magnetic field in a non-linear process that periodically weakens and strengthens, and may even reverse polarity. Lighter than the uranium-plutonium sub-core, fission by-products absorb neutrons and gradually slow core fission until they slowly float out to join the sub-shell, and fission resumes and strengthens. (See: J. Marvin Herndon, 1998; Brad Lemley, "Nuclear Planet," Discover, August 2002; and www.NuclearPlanet.com.)

B.:up:

6. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Well, a Brown Dwarf usually gets cooler with age from what we know about them. So, they are actually cooling instead of getting hotter. So, this is more of an end to that system than a beginning.

On the contrary, our Sun will get hotter as it gets older. In about 5 billion years, the sun will have become a Red Giant and about 100 million years after that, it will turn into a White Dwarf. In about 3 billion years, the Sun will be about 40% brighter. Most of the planets will be destroyed from the intense heat as the sun gets hotter including the earth. So, a brown dwarf is going in the opposite direction.

7. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Great info, alot I didnt know. Sometimes I feel sort of lost when it comes astronomy and physic science of astronomy. But hey I am learning...slowly but learning.

8. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Any questions you have, there are probably many others that are afraid to ask. I love astronomy and physics. Reality is stranger than fiction.... :D If ya have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask, nothing to big or too small. If I do not know the answer I will surely try to find out the answer. If I do know it, then it is probably a great refresher to try and explain it.... :bisou: Keep um comin'!!!

9. oortpower

oortpower Member

I would like to say that a star could be one of many things that could be defined as a star. Not including your standard stars you have many stellar objects that you could classify as such, black dwarfs, white dwarfs, red dwarfs, brown dwarfs, neutron stars, protostars, collapsars, pulsars, what ever you like. How do we no the dust rings are in a stable orbit? They might clump with the star to eventually to form a red dwarf or bigger.