Astronomy Space Launch

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by oortpower, Jan 18, 2005.

1. oortpower

oortpower Member

Okay, a lot of people say that one of the major things that hold up space travel is the launch. If a new method could be discovered then it probably would help space research immensly. Here's a question. why use chemical propulsion? If a large enough coil gun could be made and enough power provided to it you could at least launch sats a lot cheaper. you might have a 100+ g acceleration but a properly designed sat could take that. A person would go squish but if your coil-gun was longer so it could reach high enough speed without that acceleration why not use that? What do you guys think?

2. bodebliss

bodebliss The Zoc-La of Kromm-B Premium Member

Let's say you built this thing and the object leaving it was at orbital speed when it left the device, the projectile would burn up in the atmosphere.

3. oortpower

oortpower Member

Yeah, but if you had a thin needle shaped ferromagnetic container with layered high-temp ceramic that came off in layers, taking the heat with it. But even if you couldn't design a pod that can withstand orbital speed at the dense low level air you could at least get up to a decent speed so you don't have to use the chemical propulsion systems as much.

4. kiwirobin

kiwirobin Premium Member

5. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

I have seen a design for a "ramp" that is like a maglev train , or a gradual coil gun . Popular mechanics I think , will hunt around . Even if something like this was just used to speed a rocket up before chemical ignition takes over , it would save TONS of feul .

i think your idea of helping with the start up is best , bodebliss is right , the sucker would scorch itself at low altitudes . Also , I have to wonder how much power would be needed for a gun that size , and what feul is used to get the electricity for it .

6. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

i drew aup a picture abotu a year ago, which has a sphere capsule encased in a larger sphere (sort of like in the film contact) where the two speres repel each other, put a little rocket on the capsule and then make a tunnel on one end and then the capsule will fly out like air out of a balloon. Also nasa has a enw space shuttle that they are launching this year i think, can someone give me a better link?

7. oortpower

oortpower Member

I would say that fission woul.d be the best of todays energy producing methods. You could get rid of the waste by poping into space and sending it on a exit orbit to, say, the sun or Jupiter for disposal.