Lit & The Arts Short stories

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by amantine, Oct 5, 2004.

1. amantine

amantine Premium Member

After reading this article in the Guardian, I've become more interested in short stories. I haven't read many of them; from the list of ten stories at the end of the article I've only read James Joyce's The Dead. Can you recommend some good short stories?

2. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

umm
    The Garden of Forking Paths by luiz borhez
    Uqbar Tlon and Oberus Tertius (ver ver very very strange)
    the bet by chekov

3. amantine

amantine Premium Member

I like strange books. Who wrote that story?

4. junior_smith

junior_smith Premium Member

borhez as well, but this is by far the weirest sotry you have ever read you dontknow where the trurth ends and the fiction begins and some of the stuff borhez purposes is out of this world.

honestly, i've read it about 9 times and i still dont understand it at all

5. helenheaven

helenheaven Premium Member

Katherine Mansfield wrote a lot of really good short stories

Check her out

6. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I like Steven Kings short stories personally.

7. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

Get a Asimov short story book i always find myself reading one in class geting yelled at

i like the story "All the troubbles of the world." by asimov

8. jedimaster

jedimaster New Member

Any Mark Twain short story.

and The Most Dangerous Game.

9. Off_the_Street

Off_the_Street New Member

"..He had never slept in a more comfortable bed, Rainsford thought."

10. oddtodd

oddtodd Premium Member

Roald Dahl ( Charlie and the chocolate factory) has written some really macabre short stories , check him out for sure...

11. DeusEx

DeusEx Member

Burning Chrome- it's a collection of Gibson's short stories. Very....excellent. Distinct.

White Nights by Dostoyevsky is another favorite.

*starts rummaging shelves*

I would consider Bodyguard by Dietz a novella. It's well written, and under two hundred pages. I read it in under a day. If you can find it, give it a try.

DE

12. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:cool:

Another great collection of short stories - Harlan Ellison's Death Bird Stories

If you read Ellison for his science fiction this is not the book for you. <No -City on the Edge of Forever> The stories are rather disturbing and unapologetic, but really powerful.

Bleys

13. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

"The Lady and the Tiger"
    O. Henry
    Edgar Allen Poe
    (IMMMM BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

14. GArnold

GArnold New Member

Kurt Vonneguts short stories have been made into full length movies.. maybe something else to check out if you like satire

15. malik

malik Premium Member

Wow.. I remember reading "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell in grade 8.. I guess it stuck to memory because it was so good!
    I like short stories--a quick read! ...most recently read " The Story of an hour" and "Regret" by Kate Chopin. "A Rose for Emily" William Faulkner and James Joyce's "Araby"

I must admit I like plays much more... "The House of Bernarda Alba", "Yerma" by Federico Garcia Lorca (a genius) both tragic.. but very interesting.. !!!;)

16. TheWidowGarret

TheWidowGarret Premium Member

Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin is a good one, so is The Destructors by Graham Greene.

17. DucKid

DucKid Premium Member

Stand By Me -Stephen King