News @ ID SCOTUS - File sharing

Discussion in 'News @ ID' started by Bleys, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

Oral arguments were heard today in the music industries bid to slap down Grokster Ltd. and StreamCast Networks for distributing file sharing software and hosting sharing communities.

Interestingly enough the lawyers from Grokster drew the best shot of the day in reminding the justices that "technically" this case has already been decided in 1984. In the Sony Betamax decision the justices ruled that manufacturers could not be held liable for copyright infringement for misuse of it's VCRs by it's customers.

Is it completely pointless to ask ID members which side of this argument they fall on?

I can see the music/movie industries point - they have seen a 25% reduction in sales since the creation of file sharing software. File sharing is a severe hardship on their bottom line. But I believe that the prosecution of copyright infringement must be done against the individual without regard to the manufacturer. If anything it will create a whole new business of creating DVDs/CDs that are unable to be copied.

The justices will probably not have a decision on this case for quite a while - when it comes down I'll post it here.

B.

2. DreamLandMafia

DreamLandMafia Premium Member

Im all for filesharing.

I dont see why they are complaining about reduction in sales, when artists are going Platinum (sometimes 2x, or 3x) all the time. Thats 1 Million CDs sold. Those CDs cost $10+.

Iv used Grokster, and Morpheus (Streamcast), even though they suck they should be targetted as manufactuers. They have legal uses, but people are just using it wrong.

The RIAA, MPAA and all the other idiots should just accept that filsharing is here to stay. Instead of trying to shut it down, they should try and use it to their advantage.

Edit...Friends at EFF

MGM vs Grokster

[Edited on 30-3-2005 by DreamLandMafia]

3. DeltaNine

DeltaNine New Member

I see it as my own form of drug interdiction. If they don't get the money, they won't be spending it on coke.

4. GoneFission

GoneFission Premium Member

The Betamax decision certainly sets a large precedent that the music indutry will have to overcome if they hope to win. My guess is that they'll try to show how file-sharing services encourage their users to illegally share music. In my experience, however, these services clearly state in their terms of service that illegal file sharing is not allowed. This case will almost certainly be decided in favor of Grokster and StreamCast.

Therefore, the industry will be stuck trying to prosecute individuals for copyright infringement, a campaign that will probably end up costing them more money than it's worth.

Apparently the music industry executives fell asleep in their basic economics classes. Whenver prices are inflated well above equilibrium, a black market will naturally develop. This black market has been active since the advent of audiocassettes, and the internet has only just brought it to the forefront due to the ease of widespread use. Unfortunately for them, now that it's here, it will be very difficult to eradicate, even if they drop CD prices to a more reasonable level.