Astronomy Say goodbye to the moon!

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by JcMinJapan, Dec 9, 2004.

1. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Not sure how many of you know this or not, but the moon is slowly leaving the Earth.

The moon is actually pulling away from the Earth around 3.8 cm per year. Why is this happening you may ask. Well, as we all know, the moon affects the tides here on Earth. Actually, the moon cuases the Earth to be a bit oblong from the gravitational pull. But, needless to say, the Earth causes the moon to speed up a bit and the moon also slows doen the Earths spin. But, that is barely noticeable.

So, we all say .. Wow, that is neat and good, but that does it mean? Well, the Moon will not totally leave the Earth. It will move slowly out to a distance to where the push and pull are equal and it will stabilize there.

So, that brings me to my final statement, that we can expect that in 15 billion years, the moon will finally stabilize and an Earth day will become equal to 55 days now. Wow, hate to see that work week. :lol:
    But, for you lazy people, there is no need to fret, because in about 7 billion years, the Sun will have evolved into a red giant and incinerate the Earth and the Moon.

2. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

At such a small amount annually, how are we able to measure such a miniscule thing?

3. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

when the appllo missions went to the moon they left small mirriros on there for the sole pourpose for earth based observatories to shoot lazer beams of light to measure the distance. By measuring how long it takes the light to come back to earth they can accurately measure the distance of the moon.

4. OhIgnorantOne

OhIgnorantOne Member

On the #@!&% tube several nights back, a documentary was making the observations that a lot of info scientists have been theorizing (and which many people mistakenly take as facts) are now changing. Many cannot let go of their old idea or they refuse to allow them to be disputed. Anyway, I predict :lb: that in a couple generations from now, the kids will be learning a whole lot of new info that is already known. They have to go slow, at least a couple generations or so, before springing any new ideas on folks so the crazies won't start running around in circles screaming that it's the end of existance. Of course who is to say they aren't right :(

5. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

JUST INCASE THIS COMES UP HERE!

When the moon is riseing it is no closer to the Earth than when it is over head. In all actuality it is closer to you when it is directly over head. The moon appearing larger at the horizion ( dam my spelling) is an optical illusion. The actual premise of what causes this illusionis still unknown. So far the 2 leading ideas is that:
    1. You have something of perspective to compare it too so it appears larger.
    2. Water in the atmosphere acts as a magnifying glass and ,ales it appear larger.

the second one is almost obslete becasue if you take a picture of the moon when it is over head and at the horizion it will be the same size. :up:

6. AD5673

AD5673 Member

we'll all be dead by then, lol

7. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

Won't the suns increase in size throw off the gravitational pull anyways?

---Pineapple

8. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Yeah, I would guess that it would actually speed up the process. A larger sun would probably cause a higher gravitational pull towards it. But, I would also at the same point wonder if it will de a denser or lighter sun as well as it gets bigger.... hmmm....

Things to ponder.....

9. narapeer

narapeer Premium Member

It will be rarer, sure. But as it swells up it gets nearer to the earth & moon.

Gravitational pull is proprtonal to products of masses and invresely proportional to the square of distance between the objects, to be accurate square of distance between their centres.

Whatever the size of the sun in coming days, distance between their centres remains same, so no change in gravitational pull between the sun and earth.......

Am I correct, Japan?