Astronomy Saturn's moons question.

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by switchblade, Jan 16, 2005.

1. switchblade

switchblade Member

Saturn\'s moons question.

Does anyone happen to know which other of Saturn's moons changed speed between 1981 - 1995, and again last summer. I know that the moon Prometheus also did this. I only know this as it is on a science web mag, and the teasing little monkeys will only name Prometheus without forking out for subscription. I will admit that I want to know for more astrological than scientific research, so please if you feel the need, throw eggs at me.

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

I know do that, Janus and Epimetheus, share the same orbit. They are in what we call a "horseshoe orbit." The moons do not travel at the same rate, but they never collide. The reason is that one is slightly farther away from the planet than the other. The one that is farther away will go a bit slower than the closer one. When they get too close to each other, they do not collide, actually, their energies change and they actually switch orbits. So, one will slow down and the other will get quicker.

These are just off the top of my head, but not sure if these are the other ones you were thinking about, but will look more into other possibilites. I only know this as it is very interesting for me, must be really fun to watch it happen if we could.

3. JcMinJapan

Found it! Pandora!

Here is a small part of a great article... Very interesting to read. I did not know this.. Kudos to you for finding this!

4. switchblade

switchblade Member

Thank you soooo much!!!! Got enough info from that to keep the old grey matter busy for a couple of days. Although if I'm honest this will now just set me off on Saturn's moons for quite a few months. Next stop - Greek mythology. Late nights, sore eyes and cold coffee here I come ha ha! If anyone's interested I'll keep you posted on anything else odd or interesting that I stummble across. Thank you again.

5. JcMinJapan

Anything on Saturn would be great... Love to learn new things. This has me more interested in the moons of Saturn as well.