Botany Roses are red, and now blue...

Discussion in 'Botany' started by mscbkc070904, Apr 7, 2005.

1. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

In July 2004, Melbourne biotechnology company Florigene and its partner, Japan's Suntory corporation, announced the realisation of rose breeding's impossible dream: a truly blue rose.

A truly blue rose has been the Holy Grail of rose breeders since 1840, when the horticultural societies of Britain and Belgium offered a prize of 500,000 francs to the first person to produce a blue rose.

2. pineappleupsidedown

pineappleupsidedown Premium Member

its funny that there are no pictures

---Pineapple

3. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

Actuallty there is...but it was another web page, but the page keeps redirecting as http 404 file not found error.

Sorry, but when I read it, there was one and it showed a nice floral decor, looked scrawny though, not many leaves on the stems, but the rose itself was nice.

Trying to locate another souce now for a pic

4. infinite

infinite Member

5. marg6043

marg6043 Premium Member

I cultivate roses, Irises and lilies, and I have colors you can only imagine but I have never seen a blue rose, yes I even have a black iris, but actually is likea dark purple color.

6. freenina

freenina Premium Member

If you go to that link in the first post, do a search for "rose," and download the pdf doc in the first result it has a picture of a couple kind of lilac-looking roses. I was a little disappointed.

I read in a science magazine a year back that nobody yet had made a true blue rose. It's a really neat story, though. I wonder how long it'll take before they start being mass produced and distributed?

7. sab

sab Premium Member

2.gif
    very pretty
    now the democrats can be truly proud!

8. Truelyana

Truelyana Member

It is true indeed, if you live in the wilderness you will find a variety of Roses of every colour.

9. Iceberg

Iceberg Premium Member

I would've never thought that creating a blue rose would be so difficult.
    Well, it certainly was worth the effort. It looks lovely :up: