Technology Robot eats flies to make power

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Cinderloft, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Cinderloft

Cinderloft Premium Member

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10712762^13762,00.html

Release and forget robots. This sounds like a great idea...NOT! Especially when I just finished watching the remake of Battlestar Galactica. Almost felt like putting this in Ignorance Un-Denied. Although, it sure would be nice to have something to chomp at those pesky critters. Our former cat did a decent job, but had better luck with mice and bats.

2. PurdueNuc

PurdueNuc New Member

That certainly is scary. I read Prey by Michael Crichton a couple months ago, and that freaked me out. Intelligent, autonomous, self-sustaining artificial entities are fiction now, but we are headed in that direction.

As Dr. Malcolm says in Jurassic Park, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

3. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Well, the conspiracy stuff aside......

I wonder how many flies this thing would have to eat to produce enough energy for it to run.

Also, this is a great advancement.... couldn`t we do the same with dirt or other things to produce energy based on this concept? This could a good thing, turning fresh garbage into power, kinda like the Back to the Future movie... ha ha