Religion

Discussion in 'Website Support & Announcements' started by yourdementia, Feb 7, 2005.

1. yourdementia

yourdementia New Member

Not that i am a religious nut or anything but how come there is no religion section when you guys have covered nearly everything else ?

2. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

I think the philosophy section tends to have most of the religion-based topics, and I could be wrong but I think these boards were set up with amore science-minded focus intended.

[Edited on 2-7-2005 by Aubiefan05]

3. /Future Corpse/

/Future Corpse/ Premium Member

This site is about Facts and Proofs. Hence no religion section. BTS has a religion section if you are interested.

4. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:clwndnc: Religion does have a tendency to rear its head from time to time in the context of a discussion. But for the most part - we don't discuss who's right, who's wrong or the merits/downside to religion.

With that said -- do not hesitate to bring a subject to the table just because it involves religion, especially in the sociology/philosophy forums.

B.

5. yourdementia

yourdementia New Member

Cool,,,I thought that might be the case but i had to ask,thanks guys

6. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

7. oortpower

oortpower Member

I think a religious section might degenerate into lots of arguemnet and annoyance.

8. _Angel_1991

_Angel_1991 Premium Member

Ummm....
    Don't the new rules in the philosphy section say something about not posting things about religion?

9. Bleys

Bleys Phoenix Takes Flight Staff Member

:saint2:

I think there is a distinct difference between discussing religion in a objective manner and engaging in dogmatic debate. There are events shaping and affecting our lives today in which religion is a major factor. We must allow for an open dialogue. However, any posts made to indict, promote or criticize religion, or a specific religion, violates the intent of this Board - to deny ignorance.

For example - a discussion of women's rights could easily include the role of religion in hampering and/or promoting those rights, just as cultural and economic factors did.

B.

10. mscbkc070904

mscbkc070904 Premium Member

I agree with you Bleys, to educate about religion, by its beliefs, cultural ideaology, types of religious relics, etc can be discussed. However opinionated conversations should not be discussed.

11. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

Right, religion will affect our beliefs and in those sense it can be brought up. But, I would not feel that a full out discussion of Religous topics is really suited to this site. That would be geared more towards BTS or ATS depending on the content. Also, there are many wonderful religous sites on the internet to learn more about the religion in question. but, if someone mentions that based on their relgion, they cannot condone another topic, then that is ok for this board. I am not trying to limit peoples speech, just trying to ensure that this board stays pretty much pointed in the correct direction that we are heading.