Lit & The Arts Recommendations for books on Latin/Greek scientific terms?

Discussion in 'Literature & The Arts' started by Aubiefan05, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

Does anyone have recommendations for good reference books about the Latin and Greek roots for scientific terms? I have been looking for something in an alphabetical, dictionary-type format, but haven't had much luck finding anything that was what I had in mind. I know there are plenty of websites that list common word roots, but I need something I can lug to and from school with me...
    Any suggestions are extremely appreciated, thanks for your time.

2. Zsandmann

Zsandmann Premium Member

I bet Amantine can suggest something if I pop this thread over in the Literature forum. Bump.

3. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Premium Member

I suggest someone much smarter than me help this new member. It's all greek to me! (Oh I crack myself up sometimes!:lol: )

4. amantine

amantine Premium Member

I'm sorry, but I don't know any books with lists of common Latin and Greek roots. There are scientific dictionaries, but I think those are too large to take to school every day.

I can help a bit with rules that will help you understand the meanings of certain words. Because Greek and Latin are, like all Indo-European languages, descendants of the same language, many of the words have the same meaning in English. A few examples:

You can also use this with other words, for which the meaning of the Latin and English are related:

Many terms are constructed by adding an extra syllable to the words. A list of those syllables with meanings:

You can use these to make words like superluminal, going faster than (super) the speed of light (lumen). From mathematics, you have examples like asymmetric, not (a) symmetric and antisymmetric, the opposite of symmetric.

All this information comes from my Latin grammar books, but those books contain a lot of information you don't need to understand scientific terms. I'll ask a few teachers if they can recommend you a book.

5. Aubiefan05

Aubiefan05 Member

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate your time. I may end up buying a scientific dictionary and either build up strong arm muscles from carrying it or make good condensed notes. :moon: I'm mainly interested in a reference for understanding descriptive nomenclature terms (Archaeopteryx="ancient wing", etc). I have a copy of Pough's "Vertebrate Life" that has a basic listing of some of the most common prefixes, but I was looking for something a little more specialized...
    I really wish that my school high school had offered classical languages, our foreign language department offers only Spanish, with a maximum two years of study in that (not that I have anything against Spanish, I just would have preferred Latin).
    I'd be very interestied in hearing if your teachers have any suggestions if you get the chance to ask them, again, thanks so much for the response. :livid: