Astronomy Radio Astronomy

Discussion in 'Astronomy' started by Mizar, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Mizar

Mizar Premium Member

The new and exciting world of raido astronomy has been opening the universe in a new light ever seince its discovery. we are flooded with raido, visual light, infereadimages from telescopes all the time and we are constantly amazed by the views they have give us.

For the most part astronomy is done in visual light and the other forms are reserved to professionals and researchers. I have long known raido telescopes are not hard to build and can be built for alot less than it would take to build a visual light telescope. the trick is is geting a device to decode the signal.

Does anyone know how to do this or if there is a company that sells amature raido telescopes. I would like to build one though and get a software program on my computer to get the data deciphered. I havent done a quick internet search yet but i will.

just any information on building or buying a raido teescope will be useful.

EDIT: Title Typo

2. JcMinJapan

JcMinJapan Premium Member

You have peaked my interest in this area. I jsut never thought about doing it radio astronomy from home. Well, I thought about it, but forgot... ha ha

Here is one for schools, maybe you can get yours to be involved... ;)
    http://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Here is the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers

Want to set up your own SETI station... check here http://seti.net/SETINet/SETINet.htm

There are tons of great lins from those sites. Supposedly only a few hundred US can get you a station or radio telescope built. Hmm, may be fun!

3. Icewolf

Icewolf Premium Member

Speaking of radio signals, i was reading in an astronomy magazine today that in a few years time, aliens will no longer be able to receive the masses of radio signal which are generated and sent from our planet daily.

I won't be able to give the whole article but briefly it said that with the increase in technology soon radio signals will become obsilite e.g cable tv etc this is worrying because if our radio signals had already been picked up, they'll think we're dead. :(